Dumbest travel mistakes?

whats been your dumbest travel mistake?

I met up with an old mate the other night and we both rememberd this

from years ago...... Boarding a plane in steamy 40C Bangkok in mid

December to fly to Kathmandu .We were only wearing t-shirts and shorts,

Just before landing one of the Nepalese stewardesses exclaimed 'where are your warm clothes?',s we don't have any answered two stoned hippies:suspect:.just cotton shirts and pants in our backpacks after 3 months in SE asia:hihi:

It was a long cold wait for our plane to be unloaded at -6C in the freezing terminal .then an even longer freezing bus trip from the airport to katmandu (((my nuts turned blue on that trip ,I've never complained about the cold since ) ))and the shops ,not many western shops back then in the early 70's, so we ended up looking like two overgrown retarded white sherpers in goatskin jackets :love:.

Going on coach to Bournemouth other week, with a stop off in Victoria station London, what a dump, I mean BOTH places. London & Victoria, it looked like it had not been decorated in 40 years.

But I bet you enjoyed Bournemouth when you got here...:hihi:

My boo boo was flying back from Japan, staring out the window but hardly able to keep my eyes open...I desperately wanted to drop off to sleep but am too nosey and didn't want to miss anything. I focussed on a coastline that I could see and thought, when we reach that I'll shut my eyes.......well, somewhere along the line I did shut my eyes and when I woke up it was coming daylight and the coastline was still there except that.....by then I could see and work out that it wasn't a coastline that I'd been concentrating on, it was the outline of the wing with flaps. doh.:roll:

My wilfully-dopey sister in law was praising this "brilliant" restaurant at Aston, and suggested we (me and ex, she and her hub) went there.

"OK," we said,- "Where exactly is it?"

"Aston" she said.

We set off toward Aston...

"Where are you going?" the great dim so and so says... (as we are approaching Aston.)

"Aston, like you said!"

"No not that Aston... " it pipes up...

"The one near Jordanthorpe"

"Gah, so you mean COAL ASTON you absolute plonker!"

Did I mention she makes two short planks look like a rocket scientist?

(edit to add:- only an eleven and a half mile difference!)

My wilfully-dopey sister in law was praising this "brilliant" restaurant at Aston, and suggested we (me and ex, she and her hub) went there.

"OK," we said,- "Where exactly is it?"

"Aston" she said.

We set off toward Aston...

"Where are you going?" the great dim so and so says... (as we are approaching Aston.)

"Aston, like you said!"

"No not that Aston... " it pipes up...

"The one near Jordanthorpe"

"Gah, so you mean COAL ASTON you absolute plonker!"

Did I mention she makes two short planks look like a rocket scientist?

(edit to add:- only an eleven and a half mile difference!)

Could have been worse- it's over 100 miles to the Aston in Birmingham!

But I bet you enjoyed Bournemouth when you got here...:hihi:

My boo boo was flying back from Japan, staring out the window but hardly able to keep my eyes open...I desperately wanted to drop off to sleep but am too nosey and didn't want to miss anything. I focussed on a coastline that I could see and thought, when we reach that I'll shut my eyes.......well, somewhere along the line I did shut my eyes and when I woke up it was coming daylight and the coastline was still there except that.....by then I could see and work out that it wasn't a coastline that I'd been concentrating on, it was the outline of the wing with flaps. doh.:roll:

Hi Joan,

Funnily enough we did enjoy it, it was lovely & even got a few days sun, bit of rain, and had some lovely meals.:):)

Archived