Dumbest travel mistakes?

Took a **** on the wall of a bank in Venezuela at 1am, it was at the side of a police station, long and short of it the police slammed us in the back of a police 4x4 drove us round Caracas until they found a bank machine that would take my visa card then stole $100USD from my account, pocketed it then told us to **** off before they shot us in the street!

nice country

My other half (honestly it was her) with her new sat-nav some years ago set out for a day at Drayton Manor Park, a place she had driven to many times before. She was a bit puzzled by the length of time she spent on the motorway as she hadn't needed to use it when driving there in the past but assumed "it knew what it was doing".

Three hours later she found herself on a single track road in the Leicestershire village of Drayton, 75 miles out of her way!

This thread reminds me of this:

Someone I worked with 20 odd years ago who flew a lot was waiting for his plane to take off from somewhere or other when there was an almighty lurch and a thud. As he was looking out of the window at the time he attracted the attention of one of the stewardesses and exclaimed "Is the engine supposed to fall off before we get into the air or after because the one next to me has just fallen off"

Priceless!

I once stupidly drove to a meeting in Bradford only to realise when I got there that I should have gone to another "B", Barnsley.

My former boss sent me and a colleague all the way to a meeting/ presentation at MAGNA centre, Templeborough. She was adamant that was where it was scheduled.

It was only when we got there, we discovered the venue was actually at the MEGA Centre on Bernard Road, which was a bit of an embarrassment .

Used to work for Comet in the 90s when their head office was in Hull. A colleague had to go for a meeting and was directed to the M62. He phoned up to say he was lost. Hadn't seen a sign for Hull for ages.

"I've just gone past somewhere called Warrington..."

I was diving in Egypt and had just come from a morning dive when the receptionist asked me if I still wanted a taxi that evening.

" why " I asked.

" because you are flying at ten tonight"

I had forgotten what day it was bearing in mind you are not supposed to fly within 18 hours of diving or the cabin pressure could cause the bends.

That was a scary flight.

Travelling on greyhound buses on my visit to the USA in 1980.I won't elaborate on the experience,but i certainly got to see a seedier side of America i wasn't expecting.

I travelled on "grey rabbit " a hippie bus co' which opp''d in the 70's from eugene oregan to berkeley, san fran ,half the price of greyhound .the trip started with the driver lighting one of the biggest spliffs I"ve ever seen and passing it round the entire bus...the back 2 or 3 rows of the bus had been converted to a bed with a curtain drawn across .where if, anyone you took a fancy you could go and have sex with:love::hihi:

for half the trip there was a bloke from kentucky who's party peice was swallowing water into is throat and gargleing bluegrass tunes with it ,I'd never seen anything like that before ,and nearly got an hernia from laughing.

we stopped for a 2 am meteor shower in the hills somewhere plus a nude swim ,,and still got to san fran quicker then greyhound

a little bit wiser though:hihi::

Archived