Dumbest travel mistakes?

I travelled on "grey rabbit " a hippie bus co' which opp''d in the 70's from eugene oregan to berkeley, san fran ,half the price of greyhound .the trip started with the driver lighting one of the biggest spliffs I"ve ever seen and passing it round the entire bus...the back 2 or 3 rows of the bus had been converted to a bed with a curtain drawn across .where if, anyone you took a fancy you could go and have sex with:love::hihi:

for half the trip there was a bloke from kentucky who's party peice was swallowing water into is throat and gargleing bluegrass tunes with it ,I'd never seen anything like that before ,and nearly got an hernia from laughing.

we stopped for a 2 am meteor shower in the hills somewhere plus a nude swim ,,and still got to san fran quicker then greyhound

a little bit wiser though:hihi::

This tread was about dumbest travel mistakes that journey sounds like The Who,s Magic Bus fantastic story.

Planning a day off trip to the beach so putting Whitby in to my sat nav and travelling hundreds of miles in the wrong direction to Whitby, Ellesmere Port. The worst part was walking around looking for the sea front and the beach with my towel!

I used to commute to Derby on the train, sometimes catching the 7:10ish train to London (via Chesterfield, Derby, etc.). There was also a train about 10 minutes later on the same platform - also to London (via Chesterfield - then non-stop to London).

In a rush one day, I jumped straight onto the train that was at the platform. I didn't realise I'd got on the wrong one until I noticed the different countryside after Chesterfield. It was only when it went through Leicester without stopping that I realised I was going all the way to London... The conductor was very sympathetic! I got the next train back home and booked a day off as holiday.

I did exactly the same again about a year later... :blush:

I got on the wrong connecting coach and ended up hundreds of miles from my destination.

Not half as bad as a friend who intended to travel home to York, after a few beers, and fell asleep, only to be awoke in Edinburgh.

Multiple coaches leaving simultaneously can be a big problem.

Sheffield-London NX coaches often travel in packs, some stopping at some places and others not. The same applies northbound. This particularly applies to Golders Green [each way] and Marble Arch [southbound]; plus northbound departures from Victoria and GG sometimes go via Sheffield and sometimes not. My rule, when I used the service regularly, was to ask everyone wearing NX uniform to confirm the precise route (even if three of his/her colleagues had already assured me of it!)

Paying a farmer a few quid in Thailand for a ride to the next village seemed like a good idea. It started off well, sat in the back of his pickup catching the sun with my backpack for a cushion. Until he overtook the cyclists we were following and proceeded to drive the next 20 miles over rutted roads as fast as he could manage. I have never been as badly bruised and generally beaten up in my life. Next time, I'd walk...

The first time I went abroad not on a family holiday, booked the hire car for the wrong month and at the wrong airport. Took a £50 taxi right from one venice airport to the other and then about 5 hours to sort out.

I once flew to Oklahoma. But had to transit via Stipol (Amsterdam), then Memphis, and then on to Oklahoma City.

Unfortuanately, the connecting flight from Amsterdam was a five hour wait. So the first thing. Do I go into Amsterdam for a look round? Nope, cos I don't know the place, and never been around there, and I figured that 5 hours could be a bit tight, to get there from the airport, and get back and still get my flight. Having dismissed that idea. There was nothing for it, but to kill 5 hours in the airport.

It was very very very long and tedious. There's only so much wandering about, smoking, and drinking coffee you can do. At some point I was vaguely aware of the public address system, but had kinda switched off to it, hours before. Then I thought I heard my name, but wasn't sure what it said...After some minutes, the announcement came. Final call for Mr...Flight Blah Blah going to Memphis...Gate 23. It was me! Where was I? I had no idea. Needless to say, I was about as far from gate 23 as you could get! (Stipol is huge!). So I had what was probably about a half mile 'run' along the travelator until I got to the gate, very out of breath and very embarrassed. I was told I only had seconds to spare, as they were about to unload my luggage.

I got onto the plane, very sheepish, and very embarrassed, to mutterings from all of the other passengers. Only to find someone had taken my seat! Which I insisted an taking back. To more tuts and mutterings!!! I was definitely not Mr Popular!

I cringe every time I think about it!.....Nearly missing a flight I'd waited 5 hours to catch!

:hihi: Some good laughs on his thread.I did once board a plane minus travellers cheques in hand luggage :help:Three hours of worry.

Big relief! later found them in suitcase,had no recollection that i put them there though.

Archived