Dumbest travel mistakes?

This tread was about dumbest travel mistakes that journey sounds like The Who,s Magic Bus fantastic story.

their actually was a magic bus co in london in the 70's ,went from earls court to athens for 11 quid I got it once in 77 I think:)

speaking of magic buses here's a geezer who knows how to riff is way round a telecaster:D

even as late as 1996, there was a bus that went from London to Athens for fifty quid, although I didn't go as far as that. I got off at Bolzano in northern Italy to do my annual month long apple picking job, for £35. I only did that one year though. It was much better to fly to Milan.

I got in a taxi in Turkey, never been as scared by anything else in my life.

I once worked out it'd save about 20 minutes if I caught the train to Doncaster, then switched to go to London. The train was at the platform when I got to Doncaster, 10 mins early, I got suspicious when everybody was moaning about being hours late. The doors closed, it started moving, then the announcement came "This service will terminate at Retford due to a failure in the overhead power lines" - I was 8 hours late arriving in London.

Another time I caught the train from Sheffield to London, the brakes set on fire as we went through Dronfield, 3 hours late.

I tried National Express to London too, wished I'd caught the train.

Not one of mine but last October me & our lass went to York, we'd just got settled and the train was heading towards Meadowhall, and this woman piped up "does this train go to Manchester".

You had to be there.

Similar experience coming from York to Sheffield. A bloke sat a few seats down presents his ticket to the conductor, she says "you are on the wrong train. This train goes to Exeter, not Durham. You need to get off at Sheffield and get the northbound train" :D

When i first started college i went to meadowhall to catch the X78 to rotherham and it wasn't until i got to sheffield interchange that i realised i had caught the bus going the wrong way and had to stay on whilst it went back round again. The very same day i was in rotherham interchange coming home and i managed to do the same thing, i just saw the X78 and jumped on it. I looked out of the window and realised i didn't have a clue where i was so i had to get off cross over the road and get the next bus that came back to rotherham.

Also my friend picked us up from east midlands airport saturday and couldn't work out how to get out of the airport car park!

me and my boyfriend went to london a few years back, we decided to get the coach back to save money.

the day we came back it snowed, got to victoria coach station (horrible place). no coaches were leaving it was chaos. managed to find a coach to sheffield which was the one that should have left 2 hours earlier as our coach was stuck on the m1.

they said if there was spare seats we could get on the coach and that would be the last coach to eave the station that day. we got on and were so releaved to be going home.

the journey was ridiculous we were stuck on there for about 4 hours doing 1mph on the motorway. finally it pulled in to a services as everyone was desperate for food & drink.

everyone got off and ran to the services to buy some food. when we were about to set off we noticed the guy sat opposite was not back yet. everyone shouted at the driver to say wait there was someone missing. to which he replied im not waiting, ive got to go.

he just left the guy at the services in the middle of nowhere in the snow. his belongings including his coat, laptop etc were still on his seat. the driver would not wait and set off.

after about another 5 hours we made it back to sheffield, a journey that should have taken 3 1/2 hours took nearly 9 hours. we got home in the early hours of the morning!

when i was getting off i said to the driver that he better take the persons belogings off the seat as new people were getting on. he denied any knowledge of leaving the guy behind and blamed us for not telling him. i was so angry as we were all shouting at him to stop and he said im going, im not waiting for him!!

we will never take the coach again

Archived