Why are the media reporting John Terry as guilty?

Watching the news on Sky this morning Diane Abbott was on talking about the case. I know, kettle? pot?

Anyway, she repeatedly said that the use of racist language on the pitch as in the case should have been punished.

But Terry was found not guilty of doing this. The same sort of reports are seen everywhere. He was found NOT GUILTY he didn't do it!

He was found not guilty of racial abuse. There is no dispute that he used words which constitute racial abuse; he openly admitted that himself. His defence was that he responding to a question, and saying "no I did not call you a ..."

No he didn't the judge agreed that he was parroting what Ferdinand said, so the comments were not aimed at anyone, so couldn't be racial abuse.

The judge said there wasn't enough evidence to find Terry guilty, adding that Terry's defence was improbable but that the prosecution case wasn't strong enough to prove guilt due to not all the exchange being caught on camera. It's possible that what Terry alleged - that he was repeating Ferdinand's words back to him - is true but it's not very likely. Terry has been found not guilty but he's tarnished himself.

The judge said there wasn't enough evidence to find Terry guilty, adding that Terry's defence was improbable but that the prosecution case wasn't strong enough to prove guilt due to not all the exchange being caught on camera. It's possible that what Terry alleged - that he was repeating Ferdinand's words back to him - is true but it's not very likely. Terry has been found not guilty but he's tarnished himself.

So he's guilty even though found not guilty, I think its British justice that is tarnished.

He was found not guilty of racial abuse. There is no dispute that he used words which constitute racial abuse; he openly admitted that himself. His defence was that he responding to a question, and saying "no I did not call you a ..."

That's what I just said; what did you think you were disagreeing with?

The highlighted bit, it wasn't racial abuse because the remarks weren't aimed at anyone.

Archived