Newspaper sales in rapid decline

Do you still buy a daily newpaper?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still buy a daily newpaper?

• Yes
    • No

A kid at work used to buy the Daily Sport, he was the only person who didn't mind going into the paper shop and doing so, yet despite it's obvious poor sales it was the most read (I mean looked at) newspaper on the company !

The Sun, The Mirror, The Star are all popular workplace newspapers, generally read at break times or on the lav, most other papers are for people with too much time on their hands ...... IMHO !

I just skim through a selection of articles online now including the local Sheffield Star, have done for years.

I get The Observer on a Sunday. I read parts of it whilst wearing my sandals and eating my muesli on a Sunday then take other bits down to the pub on a Tuesday.

It used to be a real treat to get a Sunday paper, put the coffee on and have a leisurely Sunday in bed. Bloody computers have put an end to that, I just have to see what SF'ers are foaming at the mouth about this week.

The Independant did launch i though 18 months ago, targeted at a subset of their readership, which clocked up an impressive 61% growth in the same period. Overall across the two papers, they've gained 12,752 readers in the last 12 months.

Yes the figs obviously do not take into consideration the online versions of the titles, who's increases mirror the decline in their newpsapers, see figs below, from Nov 2011.

I think only The Times has a paywall, and is the quality paper with the least decline in readership, sureky seems only a matter of time before other titles follow their lead.

guardian.co.uk

Daily average browsers: 3,275,624

Month-on-month change: +12.23%%

Year-on-year change: +57.43%

Monthly browsers: N/A

Mail Online

Daily average browsers: 4,563,492

Month-on-month change: +12.31%

Year-on-year change: +65.41%

Monthly browsers: 78,994,874

Month-on-month: +16.85%

Telegraph.co.uk

Daily average browsers: 2,292,052

Month-on-month change: +14.94%

Year-on-year change: +33.07%

Monthly browsers: 45,310,524

Month-on-month change: +19.31%

Mirror Group Digital

Daily average browsers: 710,695

Month-on-month change: +17.22%

Year-on-year change: +34.06%

Monthly browsers: 15,796,147

Month-on-month change: +25.53%

I get The Observer on a Sunday. I read parts of it whilst wearing my sandals and eating my muesli on a Sunday then take other bits down to the pub on a Tuesday.

It used to be a real treat to get a Sunday paper, put the coffee on and have a leisurely Sunday in bed. Bloody computers have put an end to that, I just have to see what SF'ers are foaming at the mouth about this week.

I buy The Guardian and Observer at wkds too as don't have time to read 'em in the week.

Sometimes buy The Star and Sheffield Telegraph, and always buy the Green 'Un in the football season.

Archived