Neck in spasm . Advice please

Have had a long running problem with a disk in my neck. Sometimes I can manouvre it myself and click it back into place .. Yes it does hurt, but it works.

Since having lower back problems this has irritated my neck so much it is in continual spasm and my doctor recommended either an osteopath or chiropractor.

Anyone any idea which would be best?

Sorry to hear about yet another thing to cause pain :(

I can't go to chiropracters- they're just too rough with my joints for me to be able to bear it, but then again my joints are hypermobile so chiropracters aren't likely to be the best for me. I'd much rather go with an osteopath who knows how to be gentle when needed and for whom making every joint move is not the aim. They can and do manipulate joints when needed, but only when it's part of a more overall treatment. An osteopath will be much more gentle with all of the surrounding tissues and muscles and will ease the joint into better function if possible, in order not to potentially cause other spasms by bossing things about.

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as 'best', there are just approaches which suit one person better than another. I'm sure that there are loads of people who will recommend chiropracters too, but I tried one and had really bad pain afterwards from my joints complaining, which is as much about me as it is about the treatment.

I know you're not in Sheffield, but if you'd be up to travelling I can recommend Lisa Halse. She's been my osteopath for 20 years and I'd trust her treatments implicitly. She works out of the Lodge House in Walkley and the Stillpoint Practice in Nether Edge.

Archived