Interesting predicament

How should they be dealt with?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How should they be dealt with?

• As an adult.
    • As a child.

Say you have a daughter aged 17 who is mentally aged only around 6 and they break the law.

How are they/should they be dealt with?

As an adult or as a child?

What does "dealt with" mean? If it means prosecuted in court or dealt with by the police I wouldn't go for either option. A 17 years old with the mentality of a 6 years old shouldn't be prosecuted in court, even for murder. Secure accomodation could be found and constant supervision enforced. If it were for a less serious offence, again I wouldn't prosecute but any retribution should be geared more towards whoever should have been supervising. 6 years old is below the age of criminal responsibility.

Its becoming clear the type or severity of offense is important to the whole question.

Personally i didnt think it was but lets say it was something like murder or rape.

Something really serious that gets people up in arms and frothing at the mouth.

Real pitchfork stuff.

Its becoming clear the type or severity of offense is important to the whole question.

Personally i didnt think it was but lets say it was something like murder or rape.

Real pitchfork stuff.

Well appears so far that the majority want them to sit on the naughty step for their crime.

Real pitchfork stuff.

:hihi: It doesn't take much to get frothy on here.

Treat them like a six year old. A seventeen year old may still have a sexual instinct without it being aware mentally. The body is evolving but the mind isn't?

Or to go with the flow, fry em.

Go one then, enlighten me, what should be done about an adult with the mental age of six years old that kills or rapes someone.

Well firstly I would act like an adult without the use of terms like "naughty step" because the poll isn't going their way.

Secondly...How do you personally define adult?

I want to ask a couple of controversial questions, and they are geniune questions I'm not trolling or anything.

Are adults that are mentally retarded(for want of a better word) or have a mental age of less than 16, barred from having sex? and is the("normal" sound-minded) person they have sex with liable to be prosecuted?

As an adult.

The 'mind' of a 6 year old, that's merely speculation, opinion, age is not, it's definitive. So yes she should be treated like an adult. However there is protection for mentally disabled people under PACE which allows them benefits in custody, and I'm pretty sure it's identicle, or if not, very similar to the protection afforded to children.

And when it gets to court it's then for the prosecution to argue that she was criminally responsible, if she weren't then she's clear.

Archived