Faulty Gas Oven - Advice Please

I bought a brand new cooker yesterday and had it installed by a gas safe engineer. Well according to the shop he was, i'll reserve judgement there. I came to use it last night and found that the oven will light, but when you release the thermostat dial it goes straight out. I believe that it is a flame failure device on it.

This could be causing the problem? From what i was told when it was installed it's one of these where you push the knob in, ignote the gas and have to hold it in. Obviously the problem is that it won't stay lit.

I haven't been able to cook anything today and I'm not using the stove top. (that works fine). But obviously i don't want to use it.

Do the place I bought it from have an obligation to take it back, since it is not fit for purpose?

Edit: I've had a reply that an engineer will be sent to check it tomorrow. But just in cases it doesn't fix the problem i'd like to know where i stand.

I bought a brand new cooker yesterday and had it installed by a gas safe engineer. Well according to the shop he was, i'll reserve judgement there. I came to use it last night and found that the oven will light, but when you release the thermostat dial it goes straight out. I believe that it is a flame failure device on it.

This could be causing the problem? From what i was told when it was installed it's one of these where you push the knob in, ignote the gas and have to hold it in. Obviously the problem is that it won't stay lit.

I haven't been able to cook anything today and I'm not using the stove top. (that works fine). But obviously i don't want to use it.

Do the place I bought it from have an obligation to take it back, since it is not fit for purpose?

Edit: I've had a reply that an engineer will be sent to check it tomorrow. But just in cases it doesn't fix the problem i'd like to know where i stand.

The place where you bought is responsible. You are entitled to a full refund from them.

But make sure you have your facts right.

Let this other guy check it out first.

Ours does the same, need to push the knob in firmly & then it works. They sent an engineer out & it worked every time for him. Is it Italian made by any chance?

Not 100% certain on if it is Italian made. I've pushed the knob in and held it in for over 30 seconds and still get no-where.

OK....so don't release it straight away...hold it for about 10 seconds after the flame has lit.....keep holding and let go. I have an Italian made cooker - and its par for the course. My cooker is 17 years old and has been like it since day one.

Use the cooker...just hold that button in for a few seconds before releasing. :)

Not 100% certain on if it is Italian made. I've pushed the knob in and held it in for over 30 seconds and still get no-where.

Ah...are you expecting it to automatically light??? On some ovens the automatic pilot light doesn't involve the oven - just the hob. So back to what I said...but have some form of light with you.

Look into the cavity first....you should see a little opening on the cavity floor....presuming it is lit from the bottom....a sort of little dome with part cut away and open. This is where you need to apply the light....I usually use a lighter with the flame turned up as much as possible.

So with one hand turn the knob so you can hear gas....and hold the knob in....and then attempt to light the gas through the small hole...holding the flame near is enough.....and then keep holding the knob for about 10 secs and release.

I too asked an engineer why this happens...he said it was a safety feature - to stop children lighting it - making it a conscious effort to light it rather than it be lit at random.

Archived