1949/50 Wednesday promoted

Rayd

In 1950 Wednesday got promoted from the old Div.2 as runner-up and United were 3rd. ... both sides finished with 52 points.

BUT .... ...... the goal averages were so close that 1 goal more or less by either team and the positions would have been reversed.

Just 1 goal in it after 42 matches ... amazing.

Can anyone remember those days and the fans/emotions?

Newspaper reports.

I've been fascinated by this for a long time.

Rayd.

I don't really meet the criteria, but since no one else has responded I'll have a go.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the 1950 promotion season, but I went to virtually every home game at Hillsborough AND t'Lane from 1958 to 1962 (I'm a Wednesday fan, but I was so football crazy back then that I used to go and watch United on alternate weeks). They were both in the (old) first division most of the time in those days, although Wednesday were up and down more than United.

I remember getting Danny Blanchflower's autograph at Bramall Lane in the year Spurs did the double. United were the first team to beat Tottenham that season (1961) after they'd gone (I think) 17 games unbeaten. The ball boys used to earn their money at t'Lane in those days as the cricket pitch was still there alongside the football pitch (weird, when you think about it now).

I was only 9 when I started going, but my mum didn't mind me getting two buses right across town from Gleadless Valley to Hillsborough by myself. Times have certainly changed there, I suspect!

It was only one shilling (5p) for boys to get in at Hillsborough. They actually had a turnstile marked "Boys". By comparison, I took my teenage daughter to watch Wednesday two seasons ago and it cost her £17.50 to get in. I've got loads of other similar memories, but I won't go on, at the risk of boring the non-footy fans

Originally posted by mojoworking

I remember getting Danny Blanchflower's autograph at Bramall Lane in the year Spurs did the double. United were the first team to beat Tottenham that season (1961) after they'd gone (I think) 17 games unbeaten.

Wednesday were runners up to Spurs in that 1961 season.

Any other year and we would have been champions but the Spurs points total was a record for the old two points for a win years.

• 3 weeks later...

Andyman,

It was Wednesday that were the first team to beat Spurs in Spurs double winning season not United. It was on the 12 Nov at Hillsborough and it was Spurs 17th match of the season and Wednesday won 2-1. Will I ever forget it. That was the best Wednesday team that I have ever seen.

If I am not mistaken I don't even think that United were even in the old 1st Division that season.

Originally posted by Tofty

Andyman,

It was Wednesday that were the first team to beat Spurs in Spurs double winning season not United.

You're quite correct. It was the Owls who were the first team to beat Spurs in the 1960/61 season and they were runners up to Tottenham. United were promoted from the second division in the same season, so Wednesday and United were both in the (old) first division for the 1961/62 season, which is when the Blades played Spurs. I was obviously mixing up the seasons with my Danny Blanchflower anecdote. Apologies.

Here's the relevant info from the Spurs' website:

The long unbeaten run finally came to an end at Hillsborough when Sheffield Wednesday beat Spurs 2-1. It was a titanic end to end game that kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Reserve 'keeper Roy McLaren made the save of his life to deny Les Allen just before half-time. The ball was cleared upfield, Craig whipped the ball on and Griffin fired the ball past Bill Brown to put the Owls ahead. Two minutes later, Spurs were level after the referee overruled his linesman and awarded a free-kick to Spurs instead of a goal-kick to the Owls. Mackay took a quick free-kick and Norman outjumped everyone else to head the equaliser.

• 4 years later...
In 1950 Wednesday got promoted from the old Div.2 as runner-up and United were 3rd. ... both sides finished with 52 points.

BUT .... ...... the goal averages were so close that 1 goal more or less by either team and the positions would have been reversed.

Newspaper reports.

Rayd.

Wednesday played their last match in the 49-50 season after United had completed their programme, and the Owls drew 0-0 against the already promoted Spurs to pip the Blades by .008 of a goal! Spurs did everything but score that day (but some say they didn't try very hard!).

Mind you, Wednesday came straight back down in 50-51, then up again in 51-52. Yo-Yo team!

You're quite correct. It was the Owls who were the first team to beat Spurs in the 1960/61 season and they were runners up to Tottenham. United were promoted from the second division in the same season, so Wednesday and United were both in the (old) first division for the 1961/62 season, which is when the Blades played Spurs. I was obviously mixing up the seasons with my Danny Blanchflower anecdote. Apologies.

Here's the relevant info from the Spurs' website:

The long unbeaten run finally came to an end at Hillsborough when Sheffield Wednesday beat Spurs 2-1. It was a titanic end to end game that kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Reserve 'keeper Roy McLaren made the save of his life to deny Les Allen just before half-time. The ball was cleared upfield, Craig whipped the ball on and Griffin fired the ball past Bill Brown to put the Owls ahead. Two minutes later, Spurs were level after the referee overruled his linesman and awarded a free-kick to Spurs instead of a goal-kick to the Owls. Mackay took a quick free-kick and Norman outjumped everyone else to head the equaliser.

I was 13 at the time and stood at the Leppings Lane end. Those days you were let through and even passed down to the front if you were a kid. How those days have gone. One of the best games I remember and I can see Griffin's goal now!

Geoff

Newspaper reports.

Rayd.

Spurs should have scored a crucial goal in this game but Les Bennett missed it - many claimed on purpose. In the 80's, Spurs were at the same hotel as me in Rotterdam and I asked Bill Nicholson about that game and claims about Bennett's miss. Not surprisingly, Nicholson would have none of it but it wouldn't have been the first mutally acceptable 0-0 draw.

What about when Manchester City did their level best to stay up in 1970 and the Owls couldn't help themselves and were relegated. City's performance, especially Doyle's missed penalty, was disgraceful. It was Wednesday or Palace so it was better to play two matches with 40,000 at each game in the North!

I was 13 at the time and stood at the Leppings Lane end. Those days you were let through and even passed down to the front if you were a kid. How those days have gone. One of the best games I remember and I can see Griffin's goal now!

Geoff

Another star in that game was goalkeeper, Roy McLaren, deputising for Ron Springett and he made a crucial match-winning save. The late John White was in the Spurs' side. That Tottenham team was outstanding and I think that is the best Wednesday team I have seen in 60 years.

Another star in that game was goalkeeper, Roy McLaren, deputising for Ron Springett and he made a crucial match-winning save. The late John White was in the Spurs' side. That Tottenham team was outstanding and I think that is the best Wednesday team I have seen in 60 years.

I totally agree Chairboy

Geoff

Archived