1949/50 Wednesday promoted

Rayd

Spurs should have scored a crucial goal in this game but Les Bennett missed it - many claimed on purpose. In the 80's, Spurs were at the same hotel as me in Rotterdam and I asked Bill Nicholson about that game and claims about Bennett's miss. Not surprisingly, Nicholson would have none of it but it wouldn't have been the first mutally acceptable 0-0 draw.

What about when Manchester City did their level best to stay up in 1970 and the Owls couldn't help themselves and were relegated. City's performance, especially Doyle's missed penalty, was disgraceful. It was Wednesday or Palace so it was better to play two matches with 40,000 at each game in the North!

I don't think anybody told City sub Ian Bowyer what the general idea was when he came on !! Did he score 2 ?

I don't think anybody told City sub Ian Bowyer what the general idea was when he came on !! Did he score 2 ?

Yes, Bowyer came on as a sub and scored two goals. I agree, nobody had told him the script! When he scored it was embarrassing as he ran around with arms aloft and not one City player joined in the celebration.

My uncle told me a tale about the Wednesday chairman giving each Spurs player a hamper of Sheffield cutlery prior to that match.

A 'tale' I think it was. I've heard similar before but given Wednesday's dual reputation for 'frugality' and 'doing things by the book', I'm sure there's nothing in the rumour.

Indeed, all the players received for the promotion was a tankard from the club with the inscription "Thank for you promotion efforts - Division 2 runners-up 1949-50, Eric (Taylor) General Manager". The tankard was neither gold nor silver, required plenty of 'Duraglit' and was a token gesture by the club. The team finishing as "Champions" was awarded medals by the F.A.

Wednesday had lost 1-0 at Spurs earlier in the season but the side doing duty at Hillsborough in that final game was: - McIntosh, Kenny, Swift, Gannon, Packard, Witcomb, Rickett, Henry, McJarrow, Froggatt, Woodhead.

There were a lot of things that went on, even in the 1950s, that nobody ever knew about, but it cut both ways. If Wedy had the 'luck' in 1950, I think the 'luck' was with Chelsea the following year, 1951, when Wednesday beat Everton 6-0 in their final game but still went down, while Chelsea stayed up. Wednesday knew in advance that 6-0 would save them, or so they thought, but, in the final analysis, it wasn't Chelsea's last day result that saved them (I forget who they played), but, according to Eric Taylor (speaking years later), the fact that Fulham had let Chelsea beat them 4-0 the previous week (a result which was unexpected at that time --and Eric always felt there was something not quite right about how it happened).

As for the Man City game in 1970, it has often been said that, with City due to play a Cup Winners' Cup final a few days later, an injury to Mike Summerbee upset Joe Mercer, and (overlooking the fact that Summerbee had been as much to blame as anyone for the way he got injured) he raced to the touchline and signalled his team to go for the win --after they appeared to have been doing everything but want to win. After the game, EWT said "We were up against a team that played with their hands in their pockets...and still we couldn't win." Ian Bowyer, by the way, boasted about his two goals for City that night for years.

But, oh, the stories that never get written!

In 1950 Wednesday got promoted from the old Div.2 as runner-up and United were 3rd. ... both sides finished with 52 points.

BUT .... ...... the goal averages were so close that 1 goal more or less by either team and the positions would have been reversed.

Just 1 goal in it after 42 matches ... amazing.

Can anyone remember those days and the fans/emotions?

Newspaper reports.

I've been fascinated by this for a long time.

Rayd.

I don't want to put autographs on-line but I've looked at my late father's autograph book - they used to place their books in the visitors' dressing room - and if this was the Tottenham X1, the only surprise was that they were playing in Division 2?

Ted Ditchburn, Harry Clarke, Charlie Withers, Alf Ramsey, Bill Nicholson, Les Medley, Les Bennett, Ron Burgess, Eddie Baily, Sonny Walters and Len Duquemin.

Less of a surprise was that the following season, they became Division 1 champions.

Don't forget, Chairboy, that this Spurs team went on to win the old First Division title the following year (50-51), and it was the start of the great run under Arthur Rowe ahead of the Nicholson era that followed.

No, I hadn't - see update - Rowe's team being famous for its "push and run" approach?

Is it possible that some-one could confirm a date when WED played at West Ham.I went to this match,which I think was Dec. 8th? 1951.I remember the match. I think Derek Dooley got 3 goals i the 2nd.half. My brother seems to think that Wed won 6-1 but that seems to good to be true.Would appreciate any help on the date.Many,many thanks..John

Archived