1949/50 Wednesday promoted

Rayd

Is it possible that some-one could confirm a date when WED played at West Ham.I went to this match,which I think was Dec. 8th? 1951.I remember the match. I think Derek Dooley got 3 goals i the 2nd.half. My brother seems to think that Wed won 6-1 but that seems to good to be true.Would appreciate any help on the date.Many,many thanks..John

Dec 8 1951, Wednesday won 6-0 - Dooley 3, Froggatt 2 and Quixall - courtesy of Keith Farnsworth's book "A Complete Record".

Chairboy.Many thanks for the Westham v Wed date.This helps me with some notes I'm compiling. I dont know if the following events are outside the remit of this thread (please forgive me if they are and tell me off).It's concerning a match that Sheff.United v Stoke city played in the war years,say 1942,3,4.It was a war time Cup tie. When I arrived on John St. at 2pm that day,the police had cordoned the area off. Stanley Matthews was playing for Stoke and had caused record attendance.I found myself (as a young thin lad) slowly being crushed to death up against the fence, which really was a big advertising hoarding..Then the Mounties charged through the middle of John St. crowd with the effect of forcing us against the hoarding which couldnt withstand the pressure and collapsed inwards!!!.,and we all ran into the ground.It was estimated later on that 10,000 of us got in that way.Once again I forget the result, only interestd in seeing Stanley Matthews.

Jan 28th 1946 FA Cup Rd 4 (second leg, at B Lane) Sheffield United 3 Stoke City 2, attendance 50,809. Colin Collindridge got all three United goals! United had lost 0-2 in first leg.

Note that Wednesday also met Stoke in FAC Rd 5 (it was two legs, and this was second leg, at Hillsboro') Feb 11 1946 and drew 0-0 in front of 62,728. Wedy had lost 0-2 in first leg.

The Sheffield club were well and truly stoked up that year!

REDFYRE. Thanks for the info.,very intersting.But without appearing ungracious I do think the match I'd got in mind took place in the WARTIME say 1942-1944 ,as I started work at 14 in 1942 and my boss sai d youve only been here a 'few minutes and you want time off a football match. If you go dont come back'. I went! but he relented with a warning!. Thanks, John.

You could be thinking of a LCN SF in April 44 when United met Aston Villa twice --at Villa losing 2-3 and drawing 2-2 in return game at Lane (Apr 22 --Att 48,483). Can't spot any meeting with Stoke in actual war years until 46.

Thanks Redfyre.This is a puzzler. Ive just rememberd a further point to mention which may eliminate some records. i.e. The match was on a Weekday afternoon, cos I should have been at work.I,ll drop the quuery for now as Ive already taken too much of your time up. Thanks once again for all your efforts and interest. John.[/i]

The FAC game v Stoke at the Lane in 46 was on a Monday, the first leg having been played two days earlier on the Sat.

The Viklla games in 1944 were on successive Saturdays.

Off the top can see only one Wed (the day) game-- in May 45 v Sheff Wedy (this ws a League North & Ciounty Cup final --United lost 1-3).

Memory can play tricks. I could tell you lots of tales of how I "remembered as if it were yesterday" something from when I was a kid, then later, when I got some records showing all the games, I found I'd got it just slightly wrong.

Mind you, nowadays my memory more often than not refuses to function anyway, and I can only be grateful for books with dates and facts in!

R EDFYRE,Apologies for querying your info in the 1st. place.I think you were right in saying that Jan.28th.1946 was the match I attended. You raised a very valid point in sayingthat memories play tricks (Ive took some convincing on this one! Sorry. Can I ask you another question. I believe in the wartime the country was split int 2 zones,North and South,each with its own league i.e. a northern couldnt play a southern team. Assuming this is correct did this apply to Cup matches. If so,when did the F.A. Cup resume Nationally, bearing in mind that the war only really finished in Sept 1945. Cheers.John

The FA Cup 1938–39 was the 64th staging of the world's oldest football cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup, commonly known as the FA Cup. Portsmouth won the competition for the first time, beating Wolverhampton Wanderers 4–1 in the final at Wembley. As this was the last full FA Cup competition before the Second World War, Portsmouth held the trophy until the end of the 1945-46 season when Derby County beat Charlton 4-1 a.e.t. after the competition resumed.

Archived