1949/50 Wednesday promoted

Rayd

Hi JG - You may find this publication worth buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dooley-Autobiography-Soccer-Legend-Derek/dp/1874718598/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198669924&sr=1-1

This Amazon link doesn't appear to be much good. Mine was a present but I wouldn't think it would cost £21.

I'd try Waterstones in town. I think you will enjoy it. I knew the Wednesday part of the story but found his time at Bramall Lane more of an insight.

Dipping into KF's "Bible", Dooley's League/Cup stat is 63 appearances, 63 goals.

Thanks again Chairboy. Just the info I wanted.Now for another puzzler.Round about 1978,I accompanied my son to Wednesday,s ground for training session. I,m not sure of his age then,say 13, give or take a year or two. This took place under the stand in some kind of a Gym. Afterwards we were given seats in the stand, to watch Wed. v Shrewsbury. It's the Shresbury bit that's puzzling me.To me Shrewsbury is a relatively unknown team (no offence intended to Shrewsbury fans). Were they in the same league as Wed. at this time or was this a friendly match.?. Cheers John.

Thanks again Chairboy. Just the info I wanted.Now for another puzzler.Round about 1978,I accompanied my son to Wednesday,s ground for training session. I,m not sure of his age then,say 13, give or take a year or two. This took place under the stand in some kind of a Gym. Afterwards we were given seats in the stand, to watch Wed. v Shrewsbury. It's the Shrewsbury bit that's puzzling me.To me Shrewsbury is a relatively unknown team (no offence intended to Shrewsbury fans). Were they in the same league as Wed. at this time or was this a friendly match.?. Cheers John.

No, it would be a DIVISION 2 match. Wednesday played Shrewsbury for four consecutive seasons from 75-76 to 78-79 inc.

My first memory of Shrewsbury was in 1963 when the Owls drew at Gay Meadow before winning the 3rd rd replay at Hillsborough. This was the bad winter of 1963 and it was into March before this tie was settled. I also recall Ted Hemsley being with The Shrews at that time.

Chairboy. Thanks, have been wondering about this for years. You mention 1963, this is also a year I will never forget. My 3rd. son was born on 3rd. FEb '63 so is 46 today .The snow storm on this day was so bad,I left work, say 3pm. and arrived at Nether Edge hospital 5 hours later( a distance of 4 miles ),well after visiting time had finished. But after a lot of arguments they let me in, only to be faced with my wife screaming at me for being late,not knowing about the weather!.Most people will say 1963 was the worst but 1947 beats this easily. I was on R.A.F. crash crew at the time and have some very unpleasant memories of this. My questions have dried up now so I'll leave you in peace now. Bye . John.

Chairboy. Thanks, have been wondering about this for years. You mention 1963, this is also a year I will never forget. My 3rd. son was born on 3rd. FEb '63 so is 46 today .The snow storm on this day was so bad,I left work, say 3pm. and arrived at Nether Edge hospital 5 hours later( a distance of 4 miles ),well after visiting time had finished. But after a lot of arguments they let me in, only to be faced with my wife screaming at me for being late,not knowing about the weather!.Most people will say 1963 was the worst but 1947 beats this easily. I was on R.A.F. crash crew at the time and have some very unpleasant memories of this. My questions have dried up now so I'll leave you in peace now. Bye . John.

I can't speak for 1947 other than to tell you that Charlton won the FA Cup for the one and only time.

I can't speak for 1947 other than to tell you that Charlton won the FA Cup for the one and only time.

Hi Chairboy. Both you and Redfire mentioned Norman Jackson. I knew Norman after his football days, I think he was also a rep for an Industrial Supplies company in Darnall. If this is the same guy, do you have an update on him please?

Geoff

Hi Chairboy. Both you and Redfire mentioned Norman Jackson. I knew Norman after his football days, I think he was also a rep for an Industrial Supplies company in Darnall. If this is the same guy, do you have an update on him please?

Geoff

Sorry Geoff, I can't help you. I played cricket with him pre-1966 and haven't seen him since though we could have been at a ex-player's funeral without realising. He had a good of wavey hair but it's over 40 years ago! Redfyre had more recent links with Shiregreen CC?

Archived