Should Rio Ferdinand be charged with racism?

It is alleged that Rio has condoned the use of a racist term on twitter. Should Rio now face investigation by the Football Association and moreover, have a case to answer to in the courts?

Of course not he's not white.

Inciting racial hatred. Rio is openly stating that somebody calling Ashley Cole a "choc ice" is funny.

"Choc Ice" is a derogatory term for a black person who displays behaviours of a white person (black on the outside, white on the inside). Inferring that displaying characteristics of a white man is somehow inferior.

Guilty as charged!

He can still use the John Terry defence though. Maybe he was laughing at the person who made the comment, rather than agreeing with them?

I don't think finding something amusing is a crime. If it is inciting racial hatred then the original twittererer is guilty, and not Rio Ferdinand.

I've not disputed that. It's a monumentally stupid thing to say.

I have. Laughing at someone else's comment isn't enough of a crime to get Ferdinand in court, as much as you wish it was.

If it was, I'd be up most days cause I usually have a good laugh at the knots you tie yourself in :hihi:

They are both a pair of thick footballers.. so who really cares what these two muppets said to each other... theres wars going on around the world, and these two make the news... wtf...lmfao....

Ashley Cole 'choc ice' tweet: Police probe racism allegations

A possible racist comment made against Chelsea footballer Ashley Cole is being investigated by Derbyshire Police.

A Twitter user, believed to be from Derbyshire, referred to Mr Cole as a "choc ice" on the social networking site over the weekend.

Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand then replied: "I hear you fella! Choc ice is classic hahahahahaha!!"

A Derbyshire Police spokeswoman said the force had received complaints "regarding alleged racist comments".

"These concerns will be fully investigated to establish whether any criminal offences have been committed," the spokeswoman added.

Derbyshire Police confirmed the original "choc ice" tweet was being investigated, not Mr Ferdinand's reply

OK I didn't agree with the Choc-Ice tweet, but this is getting beyond a joke. Does it really warrant a police investigation when the police are already stretched?

Archived