How to use a Tumble dryer?

I understand its cheaper.to use the dryers than to have to iron them, which would take me close to an hour , an iron pulls a lot of electricity, clothes need very little or no ironing if you take them out of the dryer in time, also if I need to dry just a couple of things I put in a large dry towel with them, dries in no time.

My washers a 1600 spin, and after a wash I always put it on for an extra spin to make sure it dries quicker, I'd advise you to do that

I would be surprised if it made much difference at all. You'd have to spin it faster to make a difference, not just for longer.

By far the best spin is achieved with a vertical-axis spin dryer (like the old fashioned free-standing ones). Clothes come out of those much, much drier. (In normal front loading washing machines, the drum rotates on a horizontal axis, which is is fundamentally less stable and limits the spin speed). This kind of thing is what I recommend - you get a spin speed of 2,800 rpm:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=spin+dryers&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1433&bih=758&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7901503924965282326&sa=X&ei=vggEUOL5H--10QW2xvW7Bw&ved=0CKIBEPMCMAQ

To save energy and thus money (as tumble dryers are very expensive to run), get a spin drier and only use the tumbler when you're really desperate.

I would be surprised if it made much difference at all. You'd have to spin it faster to make a difference, not just for longer.

By far the best spin is achieved with a vertical-axis spin dryer (like the old fashioned free-standing ones). Clothes come out of those almost dry. (Having the drum rotate on a horizontal axis (as in most front loading washing machines) is fundamentally less stable and limits the spin speed). This kind of thing is what I mean - you get a spin speed of 2,800 rpm:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=spin+dryers&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1433&bih=758&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7901503924965282326&sa=X&ei=vggEUOL5H--10QW2xvW7Bw&ved=0CKIBEPMCMAQ

To save energy and thus money (as tumble dryers are very expensive to run), get a spin drier and only use the tumbler when you're really desperate.

I think my mom had one of those spinners your talking about, id never seen one before I used hers, I thought it was fantastic, yes the clothes came out almost dry

The extra spin does make a difference actually, you can see the water that it takes out if you watch, so its obviously doing something. Never tried the other sort of dryer you're talking about so I can't compare it, although I have been offered one and told its amazing for getting clothes close to dry!

Those dryer balls you can buy, those little spikey things, get them in packs of 2 from Poundland. They help to seperate the clothes up in the dryer and help with the heat circulation. Not much of a difference really, but if you put 4 of them in, it saves a few minutes of drying time, which adds up cost wise over time!

The extra spin does make a difference actually, you can see the water that it takes out if you watch, so its obviously doing something. Never tried the other sort of dryer you're talking about so I can't compare it, although I have been offered one and told its amazing for getting clothes close to dry!

Cant buy those spinners in the US. Don't need one now but could have done with one a few years ago.

It's worth setting it for a shorter time too, and then checking and removing anything which is dry. Obviously jeans take longer than a cotton shirt, so once the shirt is dry, remove it and the jeans will finish drying quicker (I think).

I have to use a tumble dryer at the laundrette as we don't have our own, and at 20p for 2 minutes I will try anything to get the best value. Another tip is if you have to do several loads, do them one after the other so that the machine doesn't cool down in between, as it will use more electricity getting hot again.

It's worth setting it for a shorter time too, and then checking and removing anything which is dry. Obviously jeans take longer than a cotton shirt, so once the shirt is dry, remove it and the jeans will finish drying quicker (I think).

I have to use a tumble dryer at the laundrette as we don't have our own, and at 20p for 2 minutes I will try anything to get the best value. Another tip is if you have to do several loads, do them one after the other so that the machine doesn't cool down in between, as it will use more electricity getting hot again.

Thanks for that info Andy, i know it seems as if its "obvious" what to do, but its always a good idea to listen to someone thats already got one..:thumbsup:

it also helps if you don't take things out of the washer and bung them in the drier still scrunched up, particularly with towels. Give them a damned good shake to fluff them up first, so the warm air circulates better

I do the double spin thing too... we used to have a higher spin speed washer, and the difference is noticeable

Archived