Why is there such a dearth of late bars in Sheffield?

Potential

Compared to other major cities why is there a lack of decent late bars in Sheffield city centre? I don't mean nightclubs but rather places to drink later than midnight and not be subjected to pounding music.

Is it a lack of demand?

Does the Council (actively or passively) stymie these sort of places somehow?

Or is it a combination of factors? Just trying to gather some opinions on the subject. Don't expect any answers from me!

There are plenty of late bars, mostly on Division Street and West Street - most have music though as that is where the demand is!

That said you could go somewhere like the Devonshire Cat or Shakespeare's Ale House - both open until 1am on a weekend.

Where are you comparing to? I live in South East London (10 miles from central London) and we have only one late bar, which is open til 1am I think and a couple of nightclubs. All the other pubs and pars close at 11:00.

Napoleons is our usual haunt if we don't fancy nightclubs. Sometimes Rileys but as of late it seems to be getting scruffier and scruffier, IMHO.

Rileys as in Rileys Snooker?! Okaaaaaay...

I've no major issues with rammed late bars, we just don't seem to have ANY bars where you can drink (responsibly of course) til 3 or 4am that don't try to ruin your cochlea. And for whoever asked, I'm comparing Sheff to the likes of Leeds or Manc. I know we don't have the money that they do in general, but surely one little late bar would be viable?

Hmm... I sense a business plan coming on...

Where are you comparing to? I live in South East London (10 miles from central London) and we have only one late bar, which is open til 1am I think and a couple of nightclubs. All the other pubs and pars close at 11:00.

comparing to Manchester perhaps? Where you can drink through the night at many city centre bars and even go for a curry at 4am in the morning.

Archived