Anyone been to Cuba? Need some help

I researched it years ago, mid 90s, and Lonely Planet was saying that then at least, it basically cost fifty dollars a day for just basics, when somewhere like Honduras only cost twenty dollars a day. It's just not geared to independent tourism.

Don't you think your advice may be a little out of date?

I researched it years ago, mid 90s, and Lonely Planet was saying that then at least, it basically cost fifty dollars a day for just basics, when somewhere like Honduras only cost twenty dollars a day. It's just not geared to independent tourism.

They had a famine in the mid 90s, it was just after the USSR collapsed, it was their "special period". It's also more than 15 years ago, their economy has recovered since then, party based on foreign tourism.

I'd still be surprised if it wasn't more expensive than a number of other central American countries that were much poorer than Cuba was fifty years ago, but have now overtaken it, despite being richer countries, with better infrastructure than Cuba has, they are still cheaper for a tourist. Cuba is obviously one of those countries where they want tourists to be of the package type. It's a lot easier to manage as a foreign exchange earner that way.

here's some Thorn Tree threads on costs in Cuba

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=37&gs_id=3o&xhr=t&q=cost+in+cuba+lonely+planet+thorn+tree&pf=p&rlz=1R2GGLL_en&sclient=psy-ab&oq=cost+in+cuba+lonely+planet+thorn+tree&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=2b8fd630f42401e6&biw=730&bih=316

Cuba isnt a backpacker place. No hostels and in Habana expect to pay around $35 a night for a casa that is allowed to rent out a room.

it looks like you'll struggle to get by on less than $100 a day, which would be big big money in Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador etc so no it doesn't appear as if it's changed much relatively.

Archived