Why do they sell freshly cooked bread in those sort of perforated bags?

If you buy a tiger loaf, or a bloomer, they come in sort of semi-perforated bags, which in my experience make them susceptible to air, and therefore go 'hard' rapidly. It appears that you have to eat them within hours, or at least on the same day as you purchased them.

Is it to let the smell of freshly baked bread (which is nice) escape and so entice you to buy them?

Ir is it to let the heat escape?

Or for them to go off quicker, so you'll have to buy more?

It's always puzzled me. (doesn't take a lot, I know) :hihi:

It may be because they are packaged when still hot so without the holes you would have a build up of steam making the bread go soggy. I, for one, repackage them in a sealable bag at home to preserve their softy goodness.

jb

It's to let moisture escape.

I wonder why they can't package them up when they're cold?

So the answer is to repackage them? Do their job for them? How bizarre!

They could, I suppose, repackage them while they're cold, but it's extra effort on their part, and it's not as if the bread will go stale before they have time to sell it. It might not last as long as you would like it to, but the solution to that is for you to repackage it yourself, or keep it in a bread bin.

In mass production it's another factor - a cooling down section. A bakery has the option of putting them out to cool, but a supermarket tends to bag em up and get em on sale.

Most modern bread isn't designed to keep long anyway. A day or two at the most and it'll be going hard. Mass production has killed good bread.

So the answer is to repackage them? Do their job for them? How bizarre!

If you buy from some bread shops they rarely put them in poly bags, so you have to repackage for them anyway(ours uses paper bags).

Often French sticks aren't even sealed in a perforated bag

Pop your bread in the fridge,keeps loads longer.

If you buy from some bread shops they rarely put them in poly bags, so you have to repackage for them anyway(ours uses paper bags).

Often French sticks aren't even sealed in a perforated bag

Pop your bread in the fridge,keeps loads longer.

No it doesn't, it goes stale quicker. (a scientific fact)

Archived