Why do they sell freshly cooked bread in those sort of perforated bags?

No it doesn't, it goes stale quicker. (a scientific fact)

Ok....Seems to be a difference of opinion here!

So here's an additional question. You get your tiger loaf home. What's the best way (and most practical) way of keeping it freshest for longest!? :?:

So here's an additional question. You get your tiger loaf home. What's the best way (and most practical) way of keeping it freshest for longest!? :?:

i just wrap them up tight in the asda carrier bag i take it home in, and ours are fine for days like that.

If it goes hard,just bang it in the microwave for a minute.Makes it all nice n soft.

Keep it in a paper bag in the bread bin, if it stales a little pop it in the oven on low for a few minutes to freshen it up (it's like having a fresh baked loaf all over again :love:)

i just wrap them up tight in the asda carrier bag i take it home in, and ours are fine for days like that.

If it goes hard,just bang it in the microwave for a minute.Makes it all nice n soft.

Keep it in a paper bag in the bread bin, if it stales a little pop it in the oven on low for a few minutes to freshen it up (it's like having a fresh baked loaf all over again :love:)

Hmmmm. Some good stuff here..I think?

Microwave for a minute?..That seems quite a long time to me!...Popping it in the oven for a few minutes on low seems about right. BUT...Doesn't that exasserbate the problem of hardness? :huh:

We're talking at cross purposes here, because different breads need different things. Cheap brand-name loaves are different to freshly baked supermarket loaves, which are different to freshly baked bakery loaves, which are different to artisan loaves.

Then we've got cheap white flour, or expensive white flour with some of the grain still left in. Then cheap wholemeal flour, or the better wholemeal flours.

Then we've got to consider how it was baked. :)

Talking about one bread is like talking about one beer. There are a whole world of things to consider.

Hmmmm. Some good stuff here..I think?

Microwave for a minute?..That seems quite a long time to me!...Popping it in the oven for a few minutes on low seems about right. BUT...Doesn't that exasserbate the problem of hardness? :huh:

You will find that the crust of crusty bread softens in storage, the oven thing crusts up the outside whilst fluffing up the inside - if the loaf has been cut just cover the end with some tin foil.

Honestly! ... there're some dim-wits on here!

The perforations are to allow crumbs to fall through onto the kitchen floor and be trampled underfoot into the lounge, laboratory etc.

Personally, I prefer larger crumbs as they give a relaxing foot massage at the same time (especially between the toes).

To this end, I enlarge all the perforations with a specially adapted knitting needle. Ok ... it's a bit fiddly (and time consuming!), but the effort pays off in dividends. Try it and see!

Archived