Why do they sell freshly cooked bread in those sort of perforated bags?

Ok....Seems to be a difference of opinion here!

So here's an additional question. You get your tiger loaf home. What's the best way (and most practical) way of keeping it freshest for longest!? :?:

Eat it ..... Simples... next day, go buy another 'fresh' loaf.. stop being a tight arse by trying to make 'fresh' bread exactly what it is not, 'fresh'...

Doh ! ;)

In mass production it's another factor - a cooling down section. A bakery has the option of putting them out to cool, but a supermarket tends to bag em up and get em on sale.

Most modern bread isn't designed to keep long anyway. A day or two at the most and it'll be going hard. Mass production has killed good bread.

Modern bread keeps longer than traditional bread. The french buy a fresh baguette every day as it doesnt keep well from one day to the next.

Honestly! ... there're some dim-wits on here!

The perforations are to allow crumbs to fall through onto the kitchen floor and be trampled underfoot into the lounge, laboratory etc.

Personally, I prefer larger crumbs as they give a relaxing foot massage at the same time (especially between the toes).

To this end, I enlarge all the perforations with a specially adapted knitting needle. Ok ... it's a bit fiddly (and time consuming!), but the effort pays off in dividends. Try it and see!

You are without doubt completely nuts! :thumbsup: Maybe if you adapted an old sewing machine you could do the perforations a lot quicker. A man of your genius and talents could manage that I'm sure!

I might just try sticking my foot into the bag with the loaf still inside. Exfoliation. Especially if you give it a good rub on the heel with the crust! :hihi:

Eat it ..... Simples... next day, go buy another 'fresh' loaf.. stop being a tight arse by trying to make 'fresh' bread exactly what it is not, 'fresh'...

Doh ! ;)

Can't really argue with that logic! Except, I can't eat a whole loaf in one day....yeah yeah, I know, buy a smaller one! :hihi:

Modern bread keeps longer than traditional bread. The french buy a fresh baguette every day as it doesnt keep well from one day to the next.

It's hard to make generalisations, so I was wrong. Equally though, we're both wrong. :)

A cheap loaf will last ages because it's full of oil. I've found supermarket loaves to go hard really quickly.

The french buy a fresh baguette every day as it doesnt keep well from one day to the next.

Certainly, one reason that the bread became popular with french bakers.

Hmmmm. Some good stuff here..I think?

Microwave for a minute?..That seems quite a long time to me!...Popping it in the oven for a few minutes on low seems about right. BUT...Doesn't that exasserbate the problem of hardness? :huh:

You need to get it hard,before you pop it in the oven...:shocked:

It will go soggy after it's been in for a while......

Honestly! ... there're some dim-wits on here!

The perforations are to allow crumbs to fall through onto the kitchen floor and be trampled underfoot into the lounge, laboratory etc.

Personally, I prefer larger crumbs as they give a relaxing foot massage at the same time (especially between the toes).

To this end, I enlarge all the perforations with a specially adapted knitting needle. Ok ... it's a bit fiddly (and time consuming!), but the effort pays off in dividends. Try it and see!

I thought the holes were so the Weavils can get out and wipe their sweating foreheads......

You are without doubt completely nuts! :thumbsup: Maybe if you adapted an old sewing machine you could do the perforations a lot quicker. A man of your genius and talents could manage that I'm sure!

I might just try sticking my foot into the bag with the loaf still inside. Exfoliation. Especially if you give it a good rub on the heel with the crust! :hihi:

Alcoblobs on to something there.

I suggest PeteMorris to you another idea.

Slice off the crust and butter it.Then put the bottom part of the bread (2 loaves needed) in the microwave for a minute.Take them out and fit them snuggly to your feet.You can now walk about the house naked,eating your buttered crust,and wearing your warm snug LOAFERS! ARF ARF!

Archived