Job interviews and ties.

I think you should either go, trousers, shirt and jacket or trousers, shirt and tie. I don't think you need a tie and jacket.

Good luck anyway :) I'm sure you'll do great.

Thanks....

It's Glasgow,so i think a suity jacket will be needed.

I'm hoping my good looks swing it.:P

I'd always wear a suit no matter what sort of position it was, if I were a bloke I'd definitely always wear a tie.

Sound advice that!

I think you need to place in context of the job you are going to be doing....& try to dress accordingly. Office job.....suit n tie. Sewer cleaner shirt n tie @ max (no suit jacket)....something like a classic Harrington jacket.

I once went to a job interview at a metals forging company in a suit & tie (which would have been a semi-shop floor job) & was over dressed for the part. The metallurgist who interviewed me was only in shirt & tie (not suit jacket) & straight away I knew I'd overdressed for the part. He proceeded to tell me how dirty the job would be etc!

It's not easy & I can feel your pain. Networking is the key....a friend-of-a friend-of-a-friend......(does anyone in the industry know the person who is to interview you) .if all else fails try linkedin (for the person who is to interview you) n see if they have a photo on there! What is their dress attire n mimic it! (To see what i mean here watch the film Heartbreak Ridge!) Watch from 1 min 19secs

(NB 15 rating this!)

Tbh modern feeling is that you should dress for an interview in a way that is suitable for the job however personally I feel a suit shows you can be bothered!

I agree.

But,i was always going to wear a suit.This was whether or not a tie should be worn.

I don't see why you're getting so upset by what I'm saying, all I'm saying is that people don't go to interviews in the 'uniform' of that profession, they go in a suit.

One interviewee did for me, he didn't get the job.

I always think the jacket and tie shows that the interviewee is willing to go that extra mile. Considering you can get a perfectly acceptable suit for under £40 from Primarni, Tesco or Asda its not a big investment.

Archived