Halfords at s6, the robbing swines

My sister in law took her car to them because the bulb had blown after numerous shops like euro car parts and road & rally had sent her there. Her HID had died and went vivid pink.

She asked me to get them and I found a replacement bulb online £19.99 delivered , but being glass I said might be better from a shop to avoid breaking in transit.

So off she trundles in her golf to halfords....... £89.99 and £10 fitting which took 45mins !! For a bulb !!!!!

£99.99 for a poxy bulb !

To top it of her factory fitted by VW were 8000k bulbs, halfords have put her a 5000k in which has made the car now odd. They told her that the factory fitted 8000k were illegal and she had to buy another 5000k £99.99 bulb for the working side or face MOT fail and police fines.

By this time her blood was boiling I can tell you with the man at halfords.

I have now had to buy some bulbs from the Internet and replace the white/blue mix up left by halfords.

what are you on about, 8000k is too blue and will be against the law, are you sure your hid is factory fitted?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/audi-Vw-skoda-seat-volvo-alfa-romeo-D1S-Osram-Xenarc-Xenon-HID-bulb-Genuine-/261050884983?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc7d86377#ht_750wt_1139

you should rename the thread as it is not halfords fault you cant tell aftermarket and factory fitted

what are you on about, 8000k is too blue and will be against the law, are you sure your hid is factory fitted?

Yes factory fitted 100% on the r32 & road legal as its passed a fair few MOT's with them fitted.

8000k are not all that blue to be honest , when the are projected through the lamps lens they are almost white/normal.

Bulbs aren't bulbs any more I'm afraid! You need to check factory spec!

If you are sure it's factory spec.....

Sad to say this but you really have to do you research with every replacement part on cars these days! Can't you take it back ask for the manager & tell him the replacement is not as 'manufacturer specified' or an 'original equipment' part! I'm sure Sale of Goods Act 1979 comes in here.....

Section 14 talks of "Satisfactory quality" & @ section 14C the part talks of being unable to reject if the issue was brought to your attention. To be honest if they didn't say one light is going to be brighter than the other I think you have reasonable grounds to speak to the manager & ask for a refund!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/audi-Vw-skoda-seat-volvo-alfa-romeo-D1S-Osram-Xenarc-Xenon-HID-bulb-Genuine-/261050884983?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc7d86377#ht_750wt_1139

you should rename the thread as it is not halfords fault you cant tell aftermarket and factory fitted

They are illegal if not fitted as OEM regardless of heat rating of the bulbs. They MUST have headlight washers, they MUST be self levelling and also most do not suit the reflectors and the beam is wrong and that will fail the MOT, that's why all OEM HID headlights use projectors.

It's the £99.99 for a bulb that's got me and the fact they had already got the kelvin raiting off her dead bulb and ordered her something completely different !

And to be told if you want it to match then it's another £100 thank you very much.

They are illegal if not fitted as OEM regardless of heat rating of the bulbs. They MUST have headlight washers, they MUST be self levelling and also most do not suit the reflectors and the beam is wrong and that will fail the MOT, that's why all OEM HID headlights use projectors.

It's the £99.99 for a bulb that's got me and the fact they had already got the kelvin raiting off her dead bulb and ordered her something completely different !

And to be told if you want it to match then it's another £100 thank you very much.

To be honest if you want your car repairing properly you need to take to a real garage not a spares depot!

To be honest if you want your car repairing properly you need to take to a real garage not a spares depot!

She took to plenty of places but nobody would fit the bulbs or would sell her the bulbs due to the 50k volts that pass through them. The main dealers is up near chesterfield bypass and it's a bit of a pain to get to from s5.

Halfords unfortunately was the place 4 places had named for her to goto.

Lesson learned the hardway I'm afraid.

Anyways I ordered her a replacement, well a pair and I'll fit them over weekend.

It's just the cheek that's got me with the attitude , you got to buy another if you want to match it.

She was on phone to me when guy was telling her this, she was proper blowing to me lol !

Archived