Fridge fills up with water - how can I fix it?

We have an oldish Samsung fridge-freezer, which worked fine for a year or two, but for a long time now has been slowly collecting water at the bottom of the fridge.

It means that the salad tray at the bottom can't be used, and it takes a lot of emptying and cleaning. Other than that it works fine.

I assume it is condensation that's not getting out somehow. I've asked at a local repair shop who said it was an easy fix - the drain hole just needs unblocking.

However, I've searched the whole darned thing and it doesn't have a flaming drain hole.

I'm loathed to get someone out just so they can tell me what an idiot I am, and I've searched high and low on the internet for clues, but to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

We have an oldish Samsung fridge-freezer, which worked fine for a year or two, but for a long time now has been slowly collecting water at the bottom of the fridge.

It means that the salad tray at the bottom can't be used, and it takes a lot of emptying and cleaning. Other than that it works fine.

I assume it is condensation that's not getting out somehow. I've asked at a local repair shop who said it was an easy fix - the drain hole just needs unblocking.

However, I've searched the whole darned thing and it doesn't have a flaming drain hole.

I'm loathed to get someone out just so they can tell me what an idiot I am, and I've searched high and low on the internet for clues, but to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

Don't know if this will work but try it

Remove the all water that is in the bottom of the fridge then slowly pour some water into the fridge bottom and watch where it runs to, it should run towards the drain hole, if its got one and I think it should have

Any ideas anyone?

Is it one of these frost free jobs with the circulating air? If so it is a very easy fix. If it is I'll post how to do it.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

I've looked all over the back and bottom of the fridge section - no apparent drain hole.

The freezer part (which is below the fridge) never gets a build up of ice to need de-frosting.

Any ideas anyone?

There 'has' to be a drain hole somewhere! Mine is on the back panel of the fridge about half way up (the fridge part). Maybe a shelf or something is covering yours so that you can't obviously see it! Take everything out and have a good root around. You might also have a look at the back of the fridge. Sometimes there's a small container at the back that the water drains into and then evaporates from there. Trace the pipe that goes into that!

There 'has' to be a drain hole somewhere! Mine is on the back panel of the fridge about half way up (the fridge part). Maybe a shelf or something is covering yours so that you can't obviously see it! Take everything out and have a good root around. You might also have a look at the back of the fridge. Sometimes there's a small container at the back that the water drains into and then evaporates from there. Trace the pipe that goes into that!

A fridge freezer will only have a drain hole if it is a frost free type. The old freezers merely build up ice until someone empties them and removes it.

If it is a frost free it is a very easy job. Probably easiest way is to simply empty it and leave it turned off for a day, turn it back on and leave it running empty for a day.

There is usually a removable panel on the back of the freezer on a frost free. If the panel is removed there is a condenser and a drip channel. water runs from the channel to a tube that gos to an evaporator outside the fridge. These pipes can freeze or block with crud.

By pouring boiling water into the channel it can be defrosted but its a good idea to get a thin tube to syphon off the water or the evaporator will be working overtime for the next few days.

A good idea is to get a piece of copper wire (from flat twin & earth is good) and hang it from the condensor down the tube. It stops water freezing.

Hi Pete - truly, there's not drain hole to the fridge section - it's been emptied of shelves, trays, everything - turned round, checked the back, got other people to check as well. I've had a look on other types of fridges and sure enough, they all seem to have one, but not the old Samsung! Thanks for the advice though.

Dingus, I really appreciate your efforts to help here. Can I just clarify? You're talking about the condensing tubing for the freezer section, right? Would this be what's causing the issue with the fridge section? We don't seem to have a problem with the freezer part. Just wanted to make sure before I do anything drastic.

Hi Pete - truly, there's not drain hole to the fridge section - it's been emptied of shelves, trays, everything - turned round, checked the back, got other people to check as well. I've had a look on other types of fridges and sure enough, they all seem to have one, but not the old Samsung! Thanks for the advice though.

Dingus, I really appreciate your efforts to help here. Can I just clarify? You're talking about the condensing tubing for the freezer section, right? Would this be what's causing the issue with the fridge section? We don't seem to have a problem with the freezer part. Just wanted to make sure before I do anything drastic.

Hi Olive. Maybe if you could find out the model number, and post it on here, someone could have a ferret round the net and direct you to an instruction manual. I found one for my fridge freezer. Some people on here are very ,very good at finding stuff on the net, when it seems all else has failed!

Archived