Children's self defence classes

lee79

For years we’ve had clubs run by people who love martial arts and run them because they love their art.

Theres now a lot of places you can learn where its convenience martial arts like convenience food. Run as a business to get your cash and give you a feeling of achieving something, until you happen to come up against someone who knows what they’re doing.

They’ll usually want you to sign a contract and offer a ‘free’ uniform. So long as you attend and pay you’ll generally get your black belt in ‘X’ amount of time.

Have a look at the earlier thread about GKR (Gokan Ryu). See if you think they fit the description I’ve given.

I've been in the situation of having my 5 year old training recently. My advice would be avoid anywhere that wants you to pay for anything longer than the day you're training. Who wants to carry on taking a child to a class they no longer are interested in?

I agree with you there garryn

That's one of the main reason's I've posted on the forum, because there's nothing better that a personal recommendation from a studen/ students parent.

Like I said it's been a little difficult to find someone to teach my child as I am looking for somewhere that teaches what you need to know in a street situation as opposed to something that only works in a dojo situation, and these tend to be aimed at older students.

My advice would be to go along to look at a club first. See if there are any kids the same age as yours. Although mine started off liking his class, he's now dropped out. His teacher was a great instructor, however my lad wanted a few more kids his own age and let me know.

He was made to feel very welcome but noticed the age gap.

He's telling people "Dads looking for a class with more boys and girls his age"

I think I'll wait a few months till he's a bit older. At least this way he has good memories and wants to return.

they have a class at hillsborough sports arena(i think) on monday , another one on tuesday at another venue in hillsborough

wednesday is their traditional karate class in low edges

saturday is in norton at graves leisure centre at 12 midday

sensei farhad has been to the monday one and taken a couple of our guys down to spar and he says its a good session.

i went down to the wednesday traditional karate on the wednesday with farhad and also to the saturday one when i went to the saturday at norton they were doin a bit of grappling and takedowns etc

good mix of all ages

real great atmosphere

I would agree also go to the lau gar club on Helmton road woodseats they have a good reputation.

http://www.prokungfu.com/index.html

The British Martial Arts Academy located in Hackenthorp?

I have to be careful as I know people that go there. Not the place if you want to pay as you go, they do like you to put your name to a contract for a year. But they are v-good at x-treme martial arts.

(it is hard to find a good class class just for 5year olds)

good reputation eh?

the lau gar squad had a good rep on the semi contact fighting circuit

but lets be honest when it comes to kids you really should have an instructor that sets a good example

i have seen the way graham and adrian abdulla conduct them selfs at tournaments and to be honest i was disgusted

the values they pass on to their students are mainly that of disrespect and big egos also rubbishing other instructors i spoke to one of their black belts once and he described teachign martial arts as a "mafia type of business" ???

if you ask me those guys are bad for martial arts

Archived