Ethical banking

Co-Operative banking seems the best alternative to the main 4 High Street banks , what with their LIBOR rate fixing , money laundering activities etc ..

However , according to "theyworkforyou.com/mps" Register of Members' Interests , ed balls' office received £50,000 from the Co-Operative Group through the Labour Party to "support the Shadow Chancellor's Office".

(31/3/12)

I've recently moved to the Co-Op ,(very easy and very helpful staff) and have subsequently learned about the above and complained about their political bias (well -known in the past but which should have no place in the current market ). Got no answer .

Will continue banking with them but will be keeping a VERY close eye on their political allegiances . I believe that "ethical banking" can be a force for good but it needs to be very closely scrutinised by us , the account holders , as I have very little faith in the media doing that job for us .

Co-Operative banking seems the best alternative to the main 4 High Street banks , what with their LIBOR rate fixing , money laundering activities etc ..

However , according to "theyworkforyou.com/mps" Register of Members' Interests , ed balls' office received £50,000 from the Co-Operative Group through the Labour Party to "support the Shadow Chancellor's Office".

(31/3/12)

I've recently moved to the Co-Op ,(very easy and very helpful staff) and have subsequently learned about the above and complained about their political bias (well -known in the past but which should have no place in the current market ). Got no answer .

Will continue banking with them but will be keeping a VERY close eye on their political allegiances . I believe that "ethical banking" can be a force for good but it needs to be very closely scrutinised by us , the account holders , as I have very little faith in the media doing that job for us .

How does that make them unethical? :confused:

Sorry that should have said.

How does that make them ethical?

The Co-Op are one big rip off. Its members get a share of the profits but your paying more for the same goods and services elsewhere. You also paid for them to pay a £600,000 tax bill for Sheffield Wednesday. No doubt interest rates on savings ect will drop for all its new customers.

Important consideration with me when finding a service is whether a company offshores any of its work. I know that I'm using a Chinese computer and have a French (actually, Spanish) car and the sofa that I'm sat on is from Italy. However, with more and more companies off shoring relatively skilled work overseas such as banking back office functionality, call centres and IT work when we have sufficient labour in this country to do the work - I try to support companies that support the local economy rather than their shareholders. This is more so after some of my work colleagues have lost their jobs to off-shoring.

I know that the Coop have a big centre in Stockport. Does anyone know whether the Coop offshores any of its work?

G

Important consideration with me when finding a service is whether a company offshores any of its work. I know that I'm using a Chinese computer and have a French (actually, Spanish) car and the sofa that I'm sat on is from Italy. However, with more and more companies off shoring relatively skilled work overseas such as banking back office functionality, call centres and IT work when we have sufficient labour in this country to do the work - I try to support companies that support the local economy rather than their shareholders. This is more so after some of my work colleagues have lost their jobs to off-shoring.

I know that the Coop have a big centre in Stockport. Does anyone know whether the Coop offshores any of its work?

G

I think they were looking to offshore some IT posts a few years ago to India via Steria and Xansa but don't know what became of it..

Archived