Network Rail chiefs get £300k 'retention bonus'..eh?

Three Network Rail directors get a £300,000 of our cash as a retention bonus. This isnt a performance related bonus (they were pressurised to not accept these as they didnt perform particularly well!) Its a bonus to pursuade them not to leave their jobs whilst they are in the middle of certain projects. Kind of like holding their employer to ransom. Hard times indeed!

"

A Network Rail spokesman described the payments as retention bonuses. “We know that all three of them have been approached by other companies to be poached, and we haven’t got a bonus scheme in place,” he said.

“The board’s and indeed the Office of Rail Regulation’s concern was that they could walk away right in the middle of us trying to deliver some rather big projects. So they said: if you stay here and deliver these things for us, we will give you these golden handcuffs.

“As long as they are still here in 2014 and their personal performance is at least as good, they will get the payment.”

But the directors are still free to leave if they receive an offer that exceeds their salary and additional remuneration. The arrangement would be better described as a “golden carrot” as it contains no contractual ties, said the spokesman.

Seems perfectly normal to me.

Whats your problem with it?

Really? You sign a contract to do a job, get halfway though then say give me more or I'll walk. Thats what conmen and gypsies do to old ladies when they tarmac their drives!

Really? You sign a contract to do a job, get halfway though then say give me more or I'll walk. Thats what conmen and gypsies do to old ladies when they tarmac their drives!

If they are worth it and are valuable enough to the company then why not?

Are you saying you wouldn't do it?

Not sure about the gypsie analogy though. Seems a little bit tabloid but whatever floats your boat.

While doing your normal, salaried job, turn down an offer from another (possibly better) employer, who's willing to pay you more, simply because you were in the middle of a project? What if the new employer is someone you actually want to work for? Maybe it's one which comes with a decent bonus package? :hihi:

If Network Rail believed that the continuity of staff wasn't worth this money, they'd be gone. With big projects, it's often easier and cheaper to maintain the people managing it, than bring in someone new who hasn't got a clue what you're trying to do.

If they are worth it and are valuable enough to the company then why not?

Are you saying you wouldn't do it?

Not sure about the gypsie analogy though. Seems a little bit tabloid but whatever floats your boat.

Im concerned that our money is being handed out willy nilly. The question is- are they worth it? Or do they just have a word with their old Eton schoolpal who holds the purse strings and come to a little agreement.

My guess is that there are many people who could step into their shoes. They dont head up these projects on their own without being surrounded by others who know whats going on and could fill the next man in.

The gypsy analogy is a good one.

Are you saying you would do it? I was brought up with morals and believe in integrity and loyalty.

Where does it say they asked for more, sounds like their employers think it's worth while making sure they don't leave. you'd hope because they are doing a good job that needs to be finished to a schedule. If they deliver they get a bonus.

Archived