Government says problem families 'have too many children'

whats a problem family,

I think all children should be loved and cared for, being poor should not be a bar to having children my father worked but we were poor. Not having enough or the latest thing is not as important as a family that has love for there children.

There needs to be a distinction between poor families and problem families. Most problem families are on benefits but most poor families aren't problem families, just everyday folk just trying to get by. I'm all for stopping problem families but not at the expense of poor ones.

There needs to be a distinction between poor families and problem families. Most problem families are on benefits but most poor families aren't problem families, just everyday folk just trying to get by. I'm all for stopping problem families but not at the expense of poor ones.

I think that's fair comment. Also there are large families and single parent families that do their best, and get on with their lives.

However, there are families whose lifestyle causes major problems not only for the children, but for anyone who happens to live near them. In my hometown, Dundee, since the mid 80s there has been a families project based in one of the large housing estates. It has been hailed as a success, and the last government wanted it to be replicated in other towns and cities, which it has been to some extent. There isn't a great deal published about it, but I've found this report: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/sep/30/childrensservices

'The families the project deals with are the ones the public would rather simply chase from their communities. '

I think that's fair comment. Also there are large families and single parent families that do their best, and get on with their lives.

However, there are families whose lifestyle causes major problems not only for the children, but for anyone who happens to live near them. In my hometown, Dundee, since the mid 80s there has been a families project based in one of the large housing estates. It has been hailed as a success, and the last government wanted it to be replicated in other towns and cities, which it has been to some extent. There isn't a great deal published about it, but I've found this report: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/sep/30/childrensservices

'The families the project deals with are the ones the public would rather simply chase from their communities. '

Thats an encouraging report.Not all those type of families are a lost cause,the parents have often not had the right parenting skills passed on to them from their own parents,when someone takes a genuine interest in them and shows them some genuine understanding instead of judging them they are more likely to become less defensive and and more responsonsive to advice.

Unfortunately though if there are alcohol and drug problems,there is a lot more to work on.

Dysfunctional families (or individuals) exist across the social spectrum, but unfortunately the nost marginalised will be the target of the ridicule & public opprobrium. I think stigmatising people in the most public way possible will be counterproductive, and for the sake of the dignity of those on the recieving end of whatever help is offered, it should be done in private away from the pointing fingers.

When this government says that there are 120,000 "problem" families their figure is based on the following criteria:

• Earning a low income
  • Nobody in the family working
  • Poor housing
  • Parents with no qualifications
  • The mother having a mental health problem
  • One parent with a longstanding illness or disability
  • The family unable to afford basics including food and clothes

If you meet five of these criteria then you are one of this government's problem families.

Quite a lot of everyday normal people in Sheffield hit at least 3 or 4 of those through no fault of their own.

When you look at that it's pretty obvious that poverty is the root of being a problem family so Louise Casey is essentially saying that poor people should be ashamed of having children.

By the government's definition they are one and the same.

When this government says that there are 120,000 "problem" families their figure is based on the following criteria:

• Earning a low income
  • Nobody in the family working
  • Poor housing
  • Parents with no qualifications
  • The mother having a mental health problem
  • One parent with a longstanding illness or disability
  • The family unable to afford basics including food and clothes

If you meet five of these criteria then you are one of this government's problem families.

Quite a lot of everyday normal people in Sheffield hit at least 3 or 4 of those through no fault of their own.

When you look at that it's pretty obvious that poverty is the root of being a problem family so Louise Casey is essentially saying that poor people should be ashamed of having children.

Perhaps Louise Casey should also consider whether families who drop their children off at expensive private schools and don't see them for months on end should be considered dysfunctional. Or those that substitute money for affection.

Many of the issues on the list you mentioned are in fact economic and social problems which governments and banks have an impact on - I wonder whether tey will be labelled dysfunctional and have a team of experts point out all their shortcomings :suspect:

Archived