Ramadhan Is here..

Saying Happy Ramadan is like saying Happy Abstaining...kind of like 'Enjoy not eating hahaha!' :huh:

I've never heard anybody say Happy Lent. Lent & Ramadan arent celebrations like birthdays or christmas so it's dumb to say Happy XXXX :loopy:

actually, Ramadan is the name of the month, not the name of the fast... the fast is called Sawm.

When we say "Ramadan kareem!", or "Ramadan mubarak!", it's wishing the recipient a blessed month.

I'm not sure about the specifics for Ramadhan but in most instances if Muslims are not able to comply with their religious 'rules' they are excused, or asked to perform some act of charity when they can in return.

Thanks for the reply.

It's no more offensive than being kind and caring, and wishing Christians a happy Christmas or happy Easter, Jews a blessed Passover, Hindus a blessed Diwali, or offering Pagans blessings for Yule, or other holidays such as Beltane. What about general "Happy new year" greetings? are those greetings offensive? I still offer my "holiday" greetings to my friends of different faiths.

In that case, as we might find with Ramadan falling during Summer, as it has at the moment, the Muslim in the Arctic would follow "Mecca time" or the time of their home country, if it's not in the Arctic. They would make their prayers and begin/ end their fast according to the timings there.

Naturally, it would not be logical to fast according to the Arctic's 24 hour daylight. (nor would it be safe for the "fastee" to abstain from food and water for such a long time.

Stevie, as PaliRichard has stated, there are exemptions from fasting if the person is unable to keep the fast.

If you are healthy, and "sane" you are expected to keep the fast.

For example, I am a type I Diabetic, as well as having heart problems, and am not well enough to keep the fast. I pay charity, the equivalent of providing a needy person with a main meal for every fast-day I miss. It's called "Fidya".

You are expected to refrain form food and drink, sexual intercourse, and smoking during daylight hours.

Children are excused until they are mature enough to keep fast for themselves.

Anyone with a terminal or "incurable" illness is excused.

Women who are pregnant, or who have recently given birth or are nursing-mothers are excused, as are women who have their period.

Thanks P.T.

The fasting of Ramadan is excused for:-

the insane;

children who are not adolescent yet;

the elderly and chronically ill for whom fasting is unreasonably strenuous; Such persons are required to feed at least one poor person every day in Ramadan for which he or she has missed fasting.

pregnant women and nursing may postpone the fasting at a later time;

the ill and the travellers can also defer their fasting.

Women during the period of menstruation or of post childbirth confinement. Fasting during these periods is forbidden and should be made up later, a day for a day.

Thanks Tasha.

Archived