Southey green secondary 50s

I started my school days at Southey Green school in 1934. I had a tortoise and took it to school and the teacher told me to put it out in the little garden in the middle of the quadrangle ( sp) and every so often the whole class went out to see if my pet was ok. The Parsons Cross estate was in the process of being built but we could still walk across the fields to Ecclesfield where we stripped off to our bare buff and paddled in the pond. We could but a jug of tea for a penny including fresh milk which had cream in it, imagine that milk that came directly from a cow.

I started my school days at Southey Green school in 1934. I had a tortoise and took it to school and the teacher told me to put it out in the little garden in the middle of the quadrangle ( sp) and every so often the whole class went out to see if my pet was ok. The Parsons Cross estate was in the process of being built but we could still walk across the fields to Ecclesfield where we stripped off to our bare buff and paddled in the pond. We could but a jug of tea for a penny including fresh milk which had cream in it, imagine that milk that came directly from a cow.

Remember the little quad in the middle of the school,is the school still there?

Thanks for that very interesting outlook on school in the 30s

Archived