Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation

There are no cases where it is not acceptable. There are a certain small number of words which must always take a specific ending; the remaining ones can correctly be spelt with either ending.

I'm not questioning the spelling of the word as such though only the use of English over American on a cv.

I'm not questioning the spelling of the word as such though only the use of English over American on a cv.

But the argument between -ise and -ize is nothing to do with American English. Both are, and for about 150 years have been, perfectly valid in English English.

Prior to about 150 years ago, the -ize ending was universal. The King James Bible uses it throughout, to take but one example.

But the argument between -ise and -ize is nothing to do with American English. Both are, and for about 150 years have been, perfectly valid in English English.

Prior to about 150 years ago, the -ize ending was universal. The King James Bible uses it throughout, to take but one example.

Correct, the argument is to do with it being acceptable on a cv or not and I don't think it should be but my schooling taught me to spell in one way only. It might be that it is acceptable at a school level now.

Correct, the argument is to do with it being acceptable on a cv or not and I don't think it should be but my schooling taught me to spell in one way only. It might be that it is acceptable at a school level now.

It was acceptable at a school level when you were in school; clearly, you were badly taught. You can't be held responsible for an inaccurate education, though.

Well, I'd still disagree. If you wrote "color" instead of "colour" for instance it would be considered a spelling mistake (here).

I know what you mean though. But I would still go for the safe option and always use the correct "ise" rather than "ize" (where appropriate).

It helps a lot if you set your word processor or browser spell checker to English (UK) rather than English (US). Many people don't even realise you can do this, although the problem is, as you say, the American version of the word is often also included in UK dictionaries, even though many would consider it to be incorrect.

I'm not being deliberately anal about it btw. I don't give a toss how people spell (especially on the internet - I usually type away and hit submit and ignore spelling mistakes, life's too short to worry about grammar/spelling on forum posts. But I am trying to be careful on this one because someone is bound to pick up any mistake :roll:), but for things like CVs and exams I think it's important.

I agree, for instance Americans spell the colour grey, as gray and centre as center.I can see American spellings creeping in all over the place now.

However I believe women are the better spellers. Its becoz we isnt fick like wot men is. !:hihi:

There are no cases where it is not acceptable. There are a certain small number of words which must always take a specific ending; the remaining ones can correctly be spelt with either ending.

I think that probably depends on the level of education that the recipient of the CV has. A lot of people still believe that Americanisms are not acceptable on a CV and will class it them as mistakes. To be on the safe side I would stick to the accepted English spelling and grammar.

I think that probably depends on the level of education that the recipient of the CV has. A lot of people still believe that Americanisms are not acceptable on a CV and will class it them as mistakes. To be on the safe side I would stick to the accepted English spelling and grammar.

This is where the forum really needs a "bashing head against wall" icon...

Both of them are accepted English spellings. This has nothing to do with Americanism.

Archived