Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation

I seem to remember being taught that the suffix '‐ize' was used on words with Greek roots, but '‐ise' for words that end in -vise, -tise, -cise, and -prise, that come from different roots, mainly Old French via Latin. But to use 'ise' as the default when in doubt.

So 'realized' but 'surprised' would be the correct spellings.

Taking this thread back to grammar.

There is hope for correct and grammatical use of the apostrophe, maybe not always on SF or on our shop window notices.

There is hope for it, it seems, in TEFL schools (or abroad, at least) since I saw its correct use this afternoon:

"The toilets are for our customers' use only."

It was displayed on a Chinese-run bar/restaurant's door in Barcelona!

I agree, for instance Americans spell the colour grey, as gray and centre as center.I can see American spellings creeping in all over the place now.

However I believe women are the better spellers. Its becoz we isnt fick like wot men is. !:hihi:

Dnt yer meen aint?

It was acceptable at a school level when you were in school; clearly, you were badly taught. You can't be held responsible for an inaccurate education, though.

Put it this way then. I have no recollection of 'ize' being used at any stage of school by pupil or teacher in place of 'ise' and I very much doubt (though I can't substantiate) that it would have been allowed, more likely it would have been circled as an error.

Here is a good one, what about the LL at the end of FULL, in words like WONDERFUL and FULFIL and BASHFUL there is 1 L. But words ending with Y and D like FULFILLED and WONDERFULLY have 2 Ls. Like my surname, WILLEY, if it only had one L it would be pronounced WI-LEY instead of WILL-EY.

Also, in what instance should you use ' and "

Like Jay's toys or That's a nice car compared without the '

What about when you say back in the early 1980s, should you say 80s like this or 80's like that?

Can you ever use ' as a speech or quotation mark or should you always use "

why are practise & practice correct, whilst practize is not?

Don't know, but 'practise' is a verb and 'practice' a noun. Perhaps 'practize' doesn't exist because the ending isn't pronounced with a long 'i' (eye) sound, whereas in words like 'finalise' and 'rationalise', it is.

Archived