Canaries, in the eu or not??

The Canaries is in the EU, but is a 'Special Territory' :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_the_European_Union#Canary_Islands

This appears to allow it not to be part of the "European Union VAT area" and so not to follow the EU rules on VAT and special taxes on products like alcohol and tobacco. This means goods from there are considered 'imported' and duty needs to be paid.

Well, that's my bit of new learning for the day then. I knew about the general principle of special areas, but I had no idea it did (or even that it could!) apply to the Canaries; that's a bit like the Isle of Wight being exempt from EU regulations. :huh:

If you are coming back from the Canary Islands, go through the blue channel at Customs and tell them - if questioned - that you have come from Spain. You will be telling the absolute truth - the Canaries are part of Spain, just as much as Barcelona is.

I thought the label/name tag they put on your suitcase was a different colour.

As we know, the canaries are not in the eu when bringing duty free back, so how come the asking for eu baleout money, either they are or not!!!!

Well it really depends on where they like to fly to :hihi:

I agree with you, try telling customs that tho!!!

I don't think its a matter of understanding who is in the EU, its more an issue of boarder security. When you travel to the canaries, its pretty evident by the number of street sellers and prostitutes from Africa that their border control is pretty poor.

Well, that's my bit of new learning for the day then. I knew about the general principle of special areas, but I had no idea it did (or even that it could!) apply to the Canaries; that's a bit like the Isle of Wight being exempt from EU regulations. :huh:

The link that someone provided pages ago showed that the limit was due to the fact that the Canaries aren't European, but African. They're part of Spain politically but not geographically. The Isle of Wight is European and a lot closer to the English mainland than the Canaries are to the Spanish mainland, so can't be exempt.

Archived