MP4 not playing in VLC

ccit

MP4 will not play on Windows Media Player (Vista) so I downloaded VLC. Unfortunately they won't play properly on that either. I suppose that the best thing to do is convert MP4 to .wmv so tried a couple of free converters with no luck. I have searched the forum but some of the links are not working so please can someone advise on a free, easy to use converter?

Thank you for the information. With regards to K-Lite Codec pack should I uninstall VLC first or does it matter?

Am I best trying that first because then I won't have to mess about with converting them in the future? If so, I think that I will try that first but I have also found the Sweetpack video converter download page here. Is it the right one, and if so, I will bookmark it. From the graphics I see that it looks fairly straightforward.

Thank you for the information. With regards to K-Lite Codec pack should I uninstall VLC first or does it matter?

Am I best trying that first because then I won't have to mess about with converting them in the future? If so, I think that I will try that first but I have also found the Sweetpack video converter download page here. Is it the right one, and if so, I will bookmark it. From the graphics I see that it looks fairly straightforward.

Personally, I would remove the VLC player first, do a re-boot,

and then install K-Lite,

what version of WMP are you running ?

With regards to Windows Media Player version, I don't have the actual laptop here (belongs to a relative). However, I have the same laptop here and I have just checked - it is version 11.0.6002 so maybe it is the same. Mine will play MP4 but the film is slow and jerky.

I will uninstall VLC with Revo Uninstaller then try the K-Lite and let you know how I get on. Thank you for your help.

Thank you so much me-and-pippo - downloaded the standard K-Lite Pack on my laptop and it works perfectly with Media Player Classic. Will do a thorough uninstall of VLC on the other and install K-Lite and all should be good.

Also thanks to terminator for advice about Sweetpacks - it's good to know about these things for future reference.

:smile:

Yes its the correct one i know it installs 1 or 2 other things but easy to remove them if not required in add and remove.

Just a quick update - K-Lite was installed on the other laptop after removing VLC. For some strange reason MP4 Video files would then play in Media Player Classic but not correctly - they were stuttering. Have therefore used Sweetpack converter to change them to avi (doesn't do wmv) and they now play OK in MPC. So in the end I've had to use both recommendations. Thank you for your help.

With regards to Windows Media Player version, I don't have the actual laptop here (belongs to a relative). However, I have the same laptop here and I have just checked - it is version 11.0.6002 so maybe it is the same. Mine will play MP4 but the film is slow and jerky.

I will uninstall VLC with Revo Uninstaller then try the K-Lite and let you know how I get on. Thank you for your help.

Just a quick update - K-Lite was installed on the other laptop after removing VLC. For some strange reason MP4 Video files would then play in Media Player Classic but not correctly - they were stuttering. Have therefore used Sweetpack converter to change them to avi (doesn't do wmv) and they now play OK in MPC. So in the end I've had to use both recommendations. Thank you for your help.

Do both laptops have the same amount of Ram (memory) insalled,

are the graphics drivers uptodate on the one you are experiencing issues with, do they both run Vista ?