Advice on roof insulation?

I guess kinspan must be slightly different from the stuff I have fitted.

OP have you made a building regs application? Does anyone know for definite whether it's required or not?

Only I was thinking of insulating my off shot after removing the crumbling ceiling and found this:

http://www.northdown.gov.uk/uploads/docs/alterations%20to%20roofs%20floors%20and%20walls.pdf

EXAMPLES OF WORK REQUIRING THE SUBMISSION OF A BUILDING REGULATION APPLICATION:

• Renewal of pitched or flat roof coverings – e.g. re-tiling, re-slating of pitched roofs or re-felting of

flat roofs.

Renewal or replacement of ceilings under a roof space or flat roof (with or without the renewal of

the supporting structure).

• Renewal of a finish or cladding to an external wall area or elevation (render or other cladding) or

applying a finish or cladding for the first time.

• Renewal of internal wall finishes to an external wall (excluding decoration) or where you are

applying a finishes for the first time e.g. re-plastering or dry lining of walls.

• Renovation or replacement of a solid or suspended floor, involving the replacement of screed or a

timber floor deck.

• Renewal of cladding to external walls or dormer cheeks.

As far as I am aware, I won't need to apply for building ergs approval because I am renovating the attic by ripping everything out, re-insulating and making it more habitable. it was already a room that was converted many years ago by a previous occupant so i believe I should be OK, unless anyone knows different.

The only main difference is that i will be having an ensuite and shower installed.

As far as I am aware, I won't need to apply for building ergs approval because I am renovating the attic by ripping everything out, re-insulating and making it more habitable. it was already a room that was converted many years ago by a previous occupant so i believe I should be OK, unless anyone knows different.

The only main difference is that i will be having an ensuite and shower installed.

I'm pretty sure you need it for that!

I'm pretty sure you need it for that!

You only need to apply for a change of use if the whole room is being converted. We converted a box room to an en-suite in a large old house in Dore a few years ago and had to carry out COU with the council.

You only need to apply for a change of use if the whole room is being converted. We converted a box room to an en-suite in a large old house in Dore a few years ago and had to carry out COU with the council.

Whether it constitutes change of use or not, I think there is a requirement for building regs application for new foul drains / adding to foul drains.

If you fit a new drainpipe, manhole, or fittings attached to these, you will normally need approval.

This also applies to new rainwater or foul drains inside as well as outside the

building.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_194462.pdf

Other relevant parts of this are:

If you want to replace fittings such as a bath, toilet, shower or sink, in an existing bathroom you do not need to get building regulations approval. Drainage or electrical works that form part of the refit may require building regulations approval.

If you want to install or replace your bath with a whirlpool or spa bath, you might need approval.

If you are creating a new bathroom – in a new extension, for instance – you will need to get building regulations approval

And external thermal elements:

If you replace over 25 per cent of a ceiling below an unheated loft or a flat roof, you have to comply with building regulations. Usually you’ll also have to improve the ceiling’s insulation.

Not sure whether the last one is just a need to comply or a need for an application though I'm planning to find out.

that's exactly what a friend did, then hit the building regs issue when she came to sell, and lost a buyer over it... Plus she'd not known anything about the 'egress' requirement on the Velux, so had a right pantomime sorting that out

We had a velux put in the attic last year and are having another put in next week. What is the 'egress' requirement? perhaps our builder will know but it would be handy for me to be pre-armed with the knowledge.

I don't know chapter and verse, but you need an escape route directly out above a certain floor above the ground (and I suspect it's recently been amended to ANY floor above ground level)

ring the planning office. They're usually helpful

Archived