Ahead for council tax, yet get a court summons

I am very shocked to have got a court summons recently for non payment of council tax. I was late (for the 3rd time admittedly, but only by three days on each occasion)

However, what was failed to be accounted for, that although I was late on these occasions, there was over £180 overpayment on my account from when I paid and shouldn't have done because of the 2 months "off" and even accounting for the adjusted pay because of credit on my account, I still am in fact "in credit".

Do I turn up and explain to the court, and if I do, do I expect to have to still pay the costs?

My account has actually always been in credit as I make sure I pay more each month in case of such an eventuality.

I am very shocked to have got a court summons recently for non payment of council tax. I was late (for the 3rd time admittedly, but only by three days on each occasion)

However, what was failed to be accounted for, that although I was late on these occasions, there was over £180 overpayment on my account from when I paid and shouldn't have done because of the 2 months "off" and even accounting for the adjusted pay because of credit on my account, I still am in fact "in credit".

Do I turn up and explain to the court, and if I do, do I expect to have to still pay the costs?

My account has actually always been in credit as I make sure I pay more each month in case of such an eventuality.

The problem might well be the 'computer says so' syndrome!

If you can head-off the Council, do so.

If you can't, yes- you must appear at the Court hearing and (gleefully) make out your case with full evidence that you're right and the Council are wrong. No, you should not have to pay the costs- if the Court holds in your favour- AND you ought then to insist that the Council pay your costs- time off work, travelling, a reasonable sum to compensate you for the unpleasantness, etc.

To be fair I can understand this if it's automated. I *was* late with three consecutive payments by a few days each time, and they might not have a system that accounts for people being in front.

They did make a big deal out of it recently I seem to recall reading something in the star about them going after non payers aggressively now, but I have to protect myself at the same time, especially when I am not an evader, just someone who was lax with his payments.

Anyone else in a similar position? Or have been in a similar position?

The problem might well be the 'computer says so' syndrome!

If you can head-off the Council, do so.

If you can't, yes- you must appear at the Court hearing and (gleefully) make out your case with full evidence that you're right and the Council are wrong. No, you should not have to pay the costs- if the Court holds in your favour- AND you ought then to insist that the Council pay your costs- time off work, travelling, a reasonable sum to compensate you for the unpleasantness, etc.

Thanks,

It's quite daunting a prospect for someone who hasn't been before!!

Turn up at court and DO NOT let them talk you out of not going in. Have your day in court to explain how incompetent they are and the costs will be wavered by the court. Do Not sign anything in the lobby to say that you do not wish to go in and are happy for them to sort it out because you will get lumbered with the costs even if you don't go in.

I was asked to sign something saying it would get sorted, I opted to stand in court instead and the magistrate gave them a rollocking because I should not have been there. The court costs against me were dropped and I left, everyone else signed to not go in court and had to pay the court costs.

There must have been about 300+ people all booked into the same court that day and if everyone would have opted to go into court then it would have all ground to a halt and they would have to stop summonsing people on mass.

Is it definitely a proper court summons or is it that blue form? If it's the blue form just call them and explain that you're actually in advance so you're not quite sure why they are wanting to take you to court.

Normally they just cancel it and that's it! Nothing extra to pay. If you go to court you have to take time off work, sit around for hours and the upshot is probably the same. Why stress yourself just to poke Liberata, or whoever is running the system now, in the eye? Is it really worth it to you? Then get it on a ddm over 12 months and never have the problem again.

Then get onto your local councillor's case and moan about it to them. :)

Turn up at court and DO NOT let them talk you out of not going in. Have your day in court to explain how incompetent they are and the costs will be wavered by the court.

It would save both him, and the taxpayers, much time, effort and money if he sorts it out well before then. One phone call ought to suffice.

Archived