Too few cops on the streets

The starting wage for a police officer is about £21000, I left the forces at £36,000!

your on about a starting wage in one job and the end wage in another, you must have been in the forces for a good term and probably reached the dizzy heights.

we need more cops on the street!every day it seems there is less cops on the streets? in bout an hour i could walk past 4 cop cars,but now i hardly see any.agree if u think we need more!

we definatly need more old fashioned beat bobbies .

How much crime would one Policeman/Policewoman actually stop if they wandered the streets for eight hours a day?

Much less than if they were sat in a car/ at a computer etc.

Waste of time having people walking round and round the streets for the sake of it on the off chance they'll stumble across anything.

How much crime would one Policeman/Policewoman actually stop if they wandered the streets for eight hours a day?

How much crime would not take place to begin with if it was widely known that police officers were walking the streets, and the community as a whole knew who they were and trusted them?

Both are unanswerable questions, but people will have their opinions as to which is a preferable choice.

How much crime would not take place to begin with if it was widely known that police officers were walking the streets, and the community as a whole knew who they were and trusted them?

Both are unanswerable questions, but people will have their opinions as to which is a preferable choice.

You'd have to employ thousands of police staff walking the streets of Sheffield before it'd have an impact on that though.

Much better to target known problems (which can be better done in cars and behind computers).

Lets say it costs the police £30,000 a year on average to pay staff (when you add on the employer's NI conts, pension contributions etc). You could spend several million pounds a year to make some people feel better about "fear of crime" without it actually affecting crime rates.

Lets say it costs the police £30,000 a year on average to pay staff (when you add on the employer's NI conts, pension contributions etc). You could spend several million pounds a year to make some people feel better about "fear of crime" without it actually affecting crime rates.

I would humbly suggest that this might still be a good idea. There are two things that matter; one is that people are reasonably safe from criminal activity, but the other is that they feel safe. Feet on the ground would, almost certainly, improve the latter condition.

I would humbly suggest that this might still be a good idea. There are two things that matter; one is that people are reasonably safe from criminal activity, but the other is that they feel safe. Feet on the ground would, almost certainly, improve the latter condition.
how would the police cover the whole area of sheffield on foot to make the people feel safer ?

Archived