Too few cops on the streets

I'm currently in Manhattan, and the numbers of cops everywhere is quite noticeable and somewhat reassuring.

Having said that, I've just watched an evening news article about spiralling public spending.

how would the police cover the whole area of sheffield on foot to make the people feel safer ?

I wouldn't like to guess how many police officers it would require, or how much it would cost. I'm quite willing to believe that it might be unworkable in practice; I think it's a good idea in principle.

I understood that the idea of PCSO's was partly intended as a way to achieve this, but that won't work when introduced to an area that has a crime or an antisocial problem - the crooks and yobbos will laugh at them for not being real police officers. In a world where we already had a good police presence, PCSO's could take the place of many officers without any noticeable ill effects.

As a motorcyclist every day I see dozens of people using handheld mobiles or worse texting while driving. The numbers doing this have definitely gone up in the last 2 years.

This is a crime that will never be sorted without coppers on the street.

People do this because they have sussed that there are so few coppers around that the odds on them getting a pull for it are minuscule.

Over time has been mentioned, lets talk about danger pay, the Sqauddies must be top of the list for this, and if anybody differs with this opinion, they are completly disrespectful for what these lads and lasses do, and before anyone says, well they signed the dotted line and knew what they were getting into, my answer is yes they did because they have guts, not like the majority of young wasters in this country, I,E, chavs, hoodies ect, bring back national service and make these bad kids future good men and women.

Archived