Bands at the Gaumont, Barkers Pool

I remember seeing quite a few acts at the Gaumont, the most memorable being Bob Dylan. I went with my then by friend and we walked out, along with many others, at the start of the second half when Bob Dylan came on with his electric guitar and band. Not the performance we bought tickets for.

• 3 years later...

I don't know where this story came from ..but it's pure fiction...The show was produced by "Don Ardon"

NOT COMPLETE FICTION!!!

6 (that's six) of us from the old Sheffield College Of Art were almost ejected for chanting "WE WANT BO" during The Everly's set ... The Stones WEREN'T too loud at all ... it wasn't The Crickets ... it's Arden ... it's wasn't an "oncore".

"I got this info from the program and my Diary at the time" ... must be true

Edited by sselavy
no quotes

• 1 year later...
Also saw The Everly Brothers Show, who were the top of the bill. When they came on the whole Gaumont cinema crowd errupted with "We want the Stones", the Everly Brothers tried to play but where drowned out, in the end they had to bring the Stones on stage to back them with their numbers.

Rubbish! I was there that night and poster Timbuck has given the correct description of the evening.

NOT COMPLETE FICTION!!!

Yes it was.

I don't know where this story came from ..but it's pure fiction...The show was produced by "Don Ardon" and it was called " The Everly Brothers Bo Diddley Show" it came to the Gaumont on Tuesday the 22nd of October 1963 ...The program was compared by "RAY CAMERON" and was as follows..

"The Flintstones", "Micky Most", "The Rolling Stones", "Ray Cameron" "Little Richard", (interval) "The Rattles", "Ray Cameron", "Julie Grant", "Bo Diddley","The Everly Brothers" ...It was a great show as I remember The Everly's were outstanding that night (They were backed by the Crickets)..They played a whole load of their hit's and ended the the show with "Cathy's Clown" to a standing ovation and then came back on stage and did it again for an oncore(it was in the charts for 18 weeks & 7 weeks at #1)...The Rolling Stones were a little known group in 1963 with only one record just in the charts it was a Chuck Berry song called "come on" (It only got to #23) .....On the night they only performed two numbers the first was Chuck Berry's "Talking About You" and followed by their first release ... I thought they were too loud and they didn't go down to well..19 year old Mick Jagger wore a black and white dogtooth jacket and winkle pickers and he looked like a "Mod".....In those days The stones got more attention by bad press than good music.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is exactly how I remember the concert that evening.

I remember seeing quite a few acts at the Gaumont, the most memorable being Bob Dylan. I went with my then by friend and we walked out, along with many others, at the start of the second half when Bob Dylan came on with his electric guitar and band. Not the performance we bought tickets for.

You are probably in the movie, No Direction Home...LOL:D

i saw eddie cochran and gene vincent there in the sixties, they were both on the same bill and all it cost was five shillings ( 25 p in micky mouse money ) and they were great. The only other singer on the same bill was an english lad called vince eager who was on all the music shows on t.v. At the time ,i believe that he is still performing.

saw the same concert too, great music then !!!

I saw Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent there in the sixties, they were both on the same bill and all it cost was five shillings ( 25 p in micky mouse money ) and they were great. The only other singer on the same bill was an English lad called Vince Eager who was on all the music shows on T.V. at the time ,I believe that he is still performing.

I saw that one, not long after it Eddie was killed in a taxi. He was really ahead of his time, I heard a lot of his hits were overdubbed i.e. he played all the instruments and sang as well. no idea where I heard it from. I was heartbroken when he died, he was my main reason to go to the show. By the way, years later when he became famous, I learned that Georgie Fame was in the back up band for that concert and the whole tour.

I said "NOT COMPLETE FICTION!!!" because of the highly subjective view of The Everlys vs The Stones ... some of the details may apply however to the April 16, 1960 show at the City Hall ... I'm assuming those memories have been conflated with the 1963 concert ...

"The Everly's were outstanding that night" ... not in 1963

"They were backed by the Crickets" ... not in 1963

"hit's" ... hits

"a standing ovation" ... not in 1963

"came back on stage and did it again" ... not in 1963

"for an oncore" ... encore

It's very annoying that I can't find it now, but I had a record of all the acts that appeared there. Somewhere it is online if anyone wants to try and google it.

Edited to add I have found it

Google 'Concerts and package tours 1956-1967 Bradford Timeline'

Lists them all over the country not just Bradford.

Edited by Minimo

Also saw The Everly Brothers Show, who were the top of the bill. When they came on the whole Gaumont cinema crowd errupted with "We want the Stones", the Everly Brothers tried to play but where drowned out, in the end they had to bring the Stones on stage to back them with their numbers.

Great show, long live The Stones.

As many times as I have seen shows at the Gaumont Theatre (it's proper name), I missed the Everly Brothers one, but the Stones coming back on stage

'to back them with their numbers,' are you sure?