Is the minimum wage worth working for anymore?

When all is said and done, anyone earning the minimum wage will be well used to finding themselves skint after paying their taxes, rent/mortgage, weekly shopping(when able)and utility bills, so is it really still worth giving up 40 hours week in week out to maintain a standard of living to which an equivalent standard of living is provided for free to anyone who is prepared to swallow their pride and depend on state support?

After all, would retiring with nothing more than the state pension after working and paying taxes all of your working life be any more worthwhile?

so is it really still worth giving up 40 hours week in week out to maintain a standard of living to which an equivalent standard of living is provided for free to anyone who is prepared to swallow their pride and depend on state support?

But it isn't provided to anyone; only to those who cannot work, either through illness or because they can't find a job.

People who choose not to work, get nothing.

According to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation following their study, hourly wages needed for a minimum income standard: £8.38 for a single person, £9.39 for a couple with two children and £12.20 for a lone parent with one child.

http://www.minimumincomestandard.org/downloads/2012_launch/mis_press_release_2012.pdf

As far as I'm concerned employers who do not allow their employees at least a minimum standard of living are thoroughly abhorrent individuals, thieves in my book whether the law says they can get away with it or not.

most small business is on the edge and putting wages up will kill off most small business

they said that when the minimum wage was brought in, it didnt happen, and if everyone paid there staff more they would have more money to spend which would probably improve all business

According to the Joseph Rowntree Foundation following their study, hourly wages needed for a minimum income standard: £8.38 for a single person, £9.39 for a couple with two children and £12.20 for a lone parent with one child.

http://www.minimumincomestandard.org/downloads/2012_launch/mis_press_release_2012.pdf

As far as I'm concerned employers who do not allow their employees at least a minimum standard of living are thoroughly abhorrent individuals, thieves in my book whether the law says they can get away with it or not.

It's not a viable business model though is it, unless you're a co-operative or something.

The fact remains that businesses do well when they make a lot of money in profit. Profit is simply your turnover minus your outgoings, so if you maximise the former, whilst minimising the latter, you have a high profit business.

One way to do that of course is to keep wages as low as you have to, to ensure you get suitable and sufficient staff. If you have enough decent staff, and more willing to take their place, which is particularly the case now, why would you reward staff with a high amount of pay, more than is average for their job.

It's a horrible way of looking at it, and I'm a wage slave myself, but I realise that there's no way on this planet my boss would pay me £10,000 more than an equivalent firm. They don't have to. Whilst there's competition for jobs, and everyone's on roughly the same, they can keep paying the basic and keep reaping the profits.

Is it fair - not really. It means the rich get richer and the workers get the same as always.

Is it understandable though from a business view - of course it is.

But it isn't provided to anyone; only to those who cannot work, either through illness or because they can't find a job.

People who choose not to work, get nothing.

That can be very easily manipulated if you're so incline. Like I said- 'anyone who's willing to swallow their pride wouldn't be any worse off than someone who finds themselves skint every week despite having grafted for 40 hours'.

Archived