Is the minimum wage worth working for anymore?

As a discussion point what about differentials..? Should someone who has taken the time and trouble to get qualifications be awarded a payrise to keep them ahead of the minimum wage...? For example if the minimum wage is raised to £9 as suggested above what about people who earn that now due to extra qualifications etc..if they don't get a raise then it kind of nullifies their effort doesn't it? Or arwe we looking at higher wages for all..?

Has to be higher wages for all, otherwise those have trained and progressed are effectivly taking a pay cut.

Oh and then benefits will have to rise as well as the cost of everything has gone up so people on benefits can't either a) buy food b)buy beer and play on the xbox all day (depending on your newspaper of choice).

As a discussion point what about differentials..? Should someone who has taken the time and trouble to get qualifications be awarded a payrise to keep them ahead of the minimum wage...? For example if the minimum wage is raised to £9 as suggested above what about people who earn that now due to extra qualifications etc..if they don't get a raise then it kind of nullifies their effort doesn't it? Or arwe we looking at higher wages for all..?
Personally. If I was a skilled worker earning £9 ph and the minimum wage was increased to £9 ph, I'd be vigorously applying for every unskilled job that pay minimum wages that I come across(I'd be hoping that everyone else in my position are doing the same also)and with a little luck and perseverance most of us would be accepting a job offer before too long.

It wouldn't be long before the skilled trades and professions are having to dangle a big fat carrot to entice us back.

Where and what are all these minimum wage jobs?

When I was an unskilled teen getting summer work, most jobs paid above minimum wage - TK Maxx, Threshers, Argos, glass collector at a local club...

They didn't need laws to force them to pay me a decent wage.

What do you suppose happens when employers are forced to pay above a rate they are willing to pay? They employ fewer workers, and/or they raise their prices to compensate, so consumers suffer.

Is this not a perfect example of swings and roundabouts?

Where and what are all these minimum wage jobs?

When I was an unskilled teen getting summer work, most jobs paid above minimum wage - TK Maxx, Threshers, Argos, glass collector at a local club...

They didn't need laws to force them to pay me a decent wage.

What do you suppose happens when employers are forced to pay above a rate they are willing to pay? They employ fewer workers, and/or they raise their prices to compensate, so consumers suffer.

Is this not a perfect example of swings and roundabouts?

Unless employers pay a decent living wage, employees will be forced to resort to tax credits and benefits etc, paid for out of our taxes.

So in effect taxpayers are subsidising big business who are pocketing huge profits.

Unless employers pay a decent living wage, employees will be forced to resort to tax credits and benefits etc, paid for out of our taxes.

So in effect taxpayers are subsidising big business who are pocketing huge profits.

Yet if you put minimum wage up significantly alot of small businesses will go under leaving less choice and more power to the multinationals, who make greater profits. They dictate wages and bingo-bango people on minimum wage need tax credits payed for by everyone else whilst vodafone et al pay buttons.

Hi Anna..what do you think to the point I made in post #30 in reply to you?

There is a need for an established 'living wage'. As the cost of living goes up and up, the minimum wage becomes a nonsense.

I believe the minimum wage like other benefits when up in line with inflation while many people in “real” jobs have had a pay freeze for the 2nd oe 3rd year in a row …….. now that is a nonsense.

I believe the minimum wage like other benefits when up in line with inflation while many people in “real” jobs have had a pay freeze for the 2nd oe 3rd year in a row …….. now that is a nonsense.

Yep...didn't they get something like 5% in April?

Archived