Is the minimum wage worth working for anymore?

Where and what are all these minimum wage jobs?

When I was an unskilled teen getting summer work, most jobs paid above minimum wage - TK Maxx, Threshers, Argos, glass collector at a local club...

They didn't need laws to force them to pay me a decent wage.

What do you suppose happens when employers are forced to pay above a rate they are willing to pay? They employ fewer workers, and/or they raise their prices to compensate, so consumers suffer.

Is this not a perfect example of swings and roundabouts?

They did pay above the (then if there has been minimum) - but with the minimum wage no longer have to - so don't. ........leading to a perverse situation where wages have actually gone done (in real terms) and the supporting benefit bill has gone up.

Like with tax bosses will always pay as little as they can.

No its not worth working for the minimum wage anymore and i have just left a job that paid it and when i asked for a rise all they said was be thankful that i have a job but been thankful i have a job doesn't pay my mortgage or the bills. My partner is still at my old firm and has said that more people will be leaving.

No its not worth working for the minimum wage anymore and i have just left a job that paid it and when i asked for a rise all they said was be thankful that i have a job but been thankful i have a job doesn't pay my mortgage or the bills. My partner is still at my old firm and has said that more people will be leaving.

Does being on the dole pay your mortgage? Genuine question..

As a discussion point what about differentials..? Should someone who has taken the time and trouble to get qualifications be awarded a payrise to keep them ahead of the minimum wage...? For example if the minimum wage is raised to £9 as suggested above what about people who earn that now due to extra qualifications etc..if they don't get a raise then it kind of nullifies their effort doesn't it? Or arwe we looking at higher wages for all..?

Hi Truman, you make a good point.

Obviously higher wages for all would be great, but I doubt it's going to happen in the current climate. When it did happen in the 70s, everyone was on strike for more money, we had rampant inflation, culminating in the winter of discontent.

Differentials are interesting, we come back to the thorny issue of how you rate a job by its worth. 1 banker gets paid more than 1,000 care home workers put together, but for my money I think care workers do one of the most important, but often most unpleasant jobs, yet get paid only minimum wage, (in an industry, incidently, which charges extortionate fees from its clients...,) while a banker, though qualified, has cocked up the economy with his incompetence and gets paid millions. Doesn't that suggest there's something wrong with the way differentials are arrived at?

There are dozens of examples, and people can argue till the cows come home putting forward cogent arguments to support their case. The truth is no satisfactory formula has ever been postulated to solve the dilemma. And until it is, these sort of situations will arise.

However, what is a fact, is that the gap between rich and poor is getting greater and greater, social mobility is at a standstill and the services which, as a result, the poor will have to rely on more and more, are being cut to the bone.

This could quite possibly lead to social unrest, riots, and deaths, so

it's in everyone's interests to maintain a fair and more equal society.

We can't afford not to.

Hi Truman, you make a good point.

Obviously higher wages for all would be great, but I doubt it's going to happen in the current climate. When it did happen in the 70s, everyone was on strike for more money, we had rampant inflation, culminating in the winter of discontent.

Differentials are interesting, we come back to the thorny issue of how you rate a job by its worth. 1 banker gets paid more than 1,000 care home workers put together, but for my money I think care workers do one of the most important, but often most unpleasant jobs, yet get paid only minimum wage, (in an industry, incidently, which charges extortionate fees from its clients...,) while a banker, though qualified, has cocked up the economy with his incompetence and gets paid millions. Doesn't that suggest there's something wrong with the way differentials are arrived at?

There are dozens of examples, and people can argue till the cows come home putting forward cogent arguments to support their case. The truth is no satisfactory formula has ever been postulated to solve the dilemma. And until it is, these sort of situations will arise.

However, what is a fact, is that the gap between rich and poor is getting greater and greater, social mobility is at a standstill and the services which, as a result, the poor will have to rely on more and more, are being cut to the bone.

This could quite possibly lead to social unrest, riots, and deaths, so

it's in everyone's interests to maintain a fair and more equal society.

We can't afford not to.

Why bring bankers into it...there are lots of jobs that require qualifications...how about comparing a cleaner and an electrician...maybe a care worker and an engineer who maintains machines that are used in hospitals to keep folk alive ...sorry it's not quite as evocative is it ? :) While ever there are people willing to do care work for minimum wage then not much will change..

Why bring bankers into it...there are lots of jobs that require qualifications...how about comparing a cleaner and an electrician...maybe a care worker and an engineer who maintains machines that are used in hospitals to keep folk alive ...sorry it's not quite as evocative is it ? :) While ever there are people willing to do care work for minimum wage then not much will change..

Good post. Minimum wage could treble and it won't effect bankers and their ilk one bit. The mechanic might start thinking he'd be no worse off washing cars rather than learning to fix them. And how do you motivate youngsters ? Work hard, study at college and you too could earn the same as someone who works at macdonalds.

Archived