Is the minimum wage worth working for anymore?

No, min wage doesnt work.

The rowntree foundation is right, id argue even more than that about 10 an hour is better as a basic wage.

When your 50 grand in debt to the govt due to uni fees, out of principle you should reject exchanging time for min wage. Infact everyone should, but there will always be some mugs willing to be exploited.

I'm not interested in businesses which cant afford to pay proper wages, they can either fold or suck it up for me. Profits are unpaid wages.

I agree but the government have very cleverly got it all sewn up so that people HAVE to take minimum wage jobs, thus perpetuating the exploitation.

Have you not noticed the media rhetoric about scroungers, not to mention the risk of starving when your benefits have been stopped.

Do somethng about it, stand for parliament. Once you are elected start your campaign.

I did do something about it - and I made my vote count, too.

I don't come from Ulster, (indeed, I don't come from anywhere in the UK) so I don't suppose I would get away with being elected to Parliament and then declining to attend.

I agree but the government have very cleverly got it all sewn up so that people HAVE to take minimum wage jobs, thus perpetuating the exploitation.

Have you not noticed the media rhetoric about scroungers, not to mention the risk of starving when your benefits have been stopped.

No they don't. They can always become self-employed and pay themselves as much as they like.

Somebody was moaning - on another thread - a few weeks ago about all those immigrants who had come to the UK and taken all the jobs as self-employed taxi drivers and self-employed car wash operators, were making lots of money and sending it back home.

How did they manage to do that? How did they manage to get the industrious Brits to give up those jobs?

No they don't. They can always become self-employed and pay themselves as much as they like.

Somebody was moaning - on another thread - a few weeks ago about all those immigrants who had come to the UK and taken all the jobs as self-employed taxi drivers and self-employed car wash operators, were making lots of money and sending it back home.

How did they manage to do that? How did they manage to get the industrious Brits to give up those jobs?

They work damned hard. But that's not enough any more.

Setting up a business costs money, and money is in very short supply at the moment, banks aren't lending. Plus just about everything, even the simplist job, needs a licence these days which also has to be paid for.

Even established businesses are going under,

A lot of immigrants have very strong family ties and help each other out. And they have their own banks in some cases to get round their religious laws. I've no idea whether they are still lending, but I would imagine a new immigrant would find it hard to set up a successful business from scratch right now.

They work damned hard. But that's not enough any more.

Setting up a business costs money, and money is in very short supply at the moment, banks aren't lending. Plus just about everything, even the simplist job, needs a licence these days which also has to be paid.

You don't need licenses for a huge amount of businesses and alot of the time licenses are free. Alot of businesses don't need much in the way of capital to set up. Money isn't plentiful now, but it was a few years back. They all need a massive amount of work and devotion. That isn't for everyone.

You don't need licenses for a huge amount of businesses and alot of the time licenses are free. Alot of businesses don't need much in the way of capital to set up. Money isn't plentiful now, but it was a few years back. They all need a massive amount of work and devotion. That isn't for everyone.

What viable business can be set up with no money?

Even a window cleaner needs ladders, insurances etc. and a float to get you over the first few weeks.

If you've been on the dole you will have zero savings and probably be in debt to start with. Please don't tell me money is available from the government etc, because in spite of what they may say, it simply isn't.

What viable business can be set up with no money?

Even a window cleaner needs ladders, insurances etc. and a float to get you over the first few weeks.

If you've been on the dole you will have zero savings and probably be in debt to start with. Please don't tell me money is available from the government etc, because in spite of what they may say, it simply isn't.

Off the top of my head (and only because I've been looking into it) search engine optimisation. If you have a pc and broadband, which alot of people on benefits have, you could do it with little or no investment. Not for you ? Trade the xbox for some ladders and go window cleaning. Now not everyone has an xbox to trade but we all know some do.

Save some dole money, it can be done, I did it and it was bloody hard. There is a grant scheme for under 25s from the princes trust http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/need_help/grants.aspx, which I didn't get. I was sick of getting the crappy end of the stick working for a boss I hated in company going nowhere. I laughably couldn't get a job working in the public sector and I applied for loads. I made a choice my future, good or bad, was going to be in my hands. It's still hard, I've made some bad choices but they were mine to make. I just don't think enough people have to stomach to set up on their own. If I had a family Im not sure I would.

Archived