Ten pound scratch cards..

Whats that expression about a fool and money?If you were to donate that money directly to a charity it would do far more good.

Why would anyone who spends money on the lottery want to give it away?

If it is given away, they can expect nothing in return.

If they gamble it, there is always a chance of winning something.

Why would anyone who spends money on the lottery want to give it away?

If their reason for buying lottery tickets is to help charity, then giving away the money would be vastly more useful. Indeed, givinig away 25p and keeping the other 75p would still be more useful than buying a lottery ticket.

If their reason is to try to turn a profit on the gamble, then just about any form of gambling whatsoever would be a more sensible thing to do. Even backing 66-1 outsiders at random in horse racing has a better rate of return.

If their reason for buying lottery tickets is to help charity, then giving away the money would be vastly more useful. Indeed, givinig away 25p and keeping the other 75p would still be more useful than buying a lottery ticket.

If their reason is to try to turn a profit on the gamble, then just about any form of gambling whatsoever would be a more sensible thing to do. Even backing 66-1 outsiders at random in horse racing has a better rate of return.

So, are you saying that you would get more return from staking a pound on the next 66 runners at 66/1 than you would from buying 66 £1 scratch cards?

So, are you saying that you would get more return from staking a pound on the next 66 runners at 66/1 than you would from buying 66 £1 scratch cards?

I don't know what the rate of return is on scratch cards - I referred to lottery tickets. In any event, expected returns can only be calculated in the long run - the next 66 runners at 66/1 might include ten winners, or none at all.

It's hurting you to the tune of 99 pence a week, on average. Which is affordable, I grant you, but it's still a fairly silly way to throw away money.

I'm winning at the moment...as gambling goes a pound a week is very small beer..

I don't know what the rate of return is on scratch cards - I referred to lottery tickets. In any event, expected returns can only be calculated in the long run - the next 66 runners at 66/1 might include ten winners, or none at all.

It was YOU that said backing 66/1 shots would yield a better return :rolleyes:

Whats that expression about a fool and money?If you were to donate that money directly to a charity it would do far more good.

How do you know I don't already donate?Answer..you don't.. :) If I did happen to win a fair amount then they'd get even more... :)

People do the lottery for one reason only, to try to win the big life changing amount, it's why I do it. I know there is more chance of Nelson getting his eye back, but now and again I have a little win.

£10.00 is a lot for a SC but if people want to do it, then it is their choice, I mean it still is a free country.

• 10 months later...

Yep Same I read a post on here they said they regularly win on the £1 cards I buy a few every week I won £40 in total spending about £15 on them so not too bad just a bit of fun

---------- Post added 23-06-2013 at 20:09 ----------

But answering your question my brother won a tenner on a ten pound card

Archived