How much board do you pay?

just had to move back home:mad: so now got to pay board.

so how much do you pay?

ps only work p/t.

Just remember all the free years you had there, :) its amazing how many younger ones knock their parents, but its the 1st place they go when things go wrong, just like my daughter used to & me for that matter once, years ago.

Seriously its down to individuals, some pay nothing, others get fleeced, you don't say how much or what earnings are so hard to gauge.:):)

When son is in full time work depends on his wage, if on £250.00 pwk then its £80.00 with everything in for him meals & the lot, as I tell him if he can find a flat where he can live like that I'll move in with him.

Wouldn't it be the same as if you were sharing a house with people? About £40-£50 for a room, plus share of the bills, and council tax. Plus if your mum cooks, cleans and does laundry for you, you should give her whatever the going rate is?

After all, you want to pay your way, you wouldn't want people to think you were going to live back at home to sponge off your parents, would you?

Wouldn't it be the same as if you were sharing a house with people? About £40-£50 for a room, plus share of the bills, and council tax. Plus if your mum cooks, cleans and does laundry for you, you should give her whatever the going rate is?

After all, you want to pay your way, you wouldn't want people to think you were going to live back at home to sponge off your parents, would you?

Ahem! Naughty Ruby.

Some of us parents are real softies though, which is ok if you're sure that your kids won't take adavantage, and, besides, none of us know if we'll need to rely on our children in the future. Look after your kids and they'll look after you.

Just remember all the free years you had there, :) its amazing how many younger ones knock their parents, but its the 1st place they go when things go wrong, just like my daughter used to & me for that matter once, years ago.

Seriously its down to individuals, some pay nothing, others get fleeced, you don't say how much or what earnings are so hard to gauge.:):)

When son is in full time work depends on his wage, if on £250.00 pwk then its £80.00 with everything in for him meals & the lot, as I tell him if he can find a flat where he can live like that I'll move in with him.

Yes, I agree. My lad gets it dirt cheap but he costs us a bit more in hot water bills (showers) and a bit of leccy but the Council tax, water rates, tv license, etc would be the same if he was not here so we do make a bit. He is saving hard for his first home deposit so why not help him, my parents did the same for me. I think you should at least work out how much more it is going to cost to accommodate you and maybe a bit more as a thank you.

Ahem! Naughty Ruby.
Sowwy! Fulsome apologies. As a child of the '50s, then living with a man who did absolutely nothing other than go to work, and later as a single parent, I've never actually known a man who does domestic chores. :D

Having read the other comments, a slight rider to my first post on this, if the young adult is actually saving for a deposit, maybe let them off the 'room rent' or put it in an ISA for them, towards the deposit. But they need to learn about living costs and how to budget. Otherwise they're always going to be turning up on the doorstep expecting to be housed and fed whenever things go wrong, you'll never get rid of them! :)

Archived