Gym membership?

Virgin Broadfields - about £40 a month.

I joined a few years ago and chose Virgin because they had other gyms around the country and I spent a lot of time working away - so that was a key factor in choosing them.

The membership I've got allows me to use most (but not all) other Virgin gyms as well.

They put some restrictions on it if the gym you are visiting is in a higher price bracket than the one you belong to. I find that a bit annoying but I can understand why they do it.

I'm considering taking out a membership at Virgin Archer Road instead (the old Esporta gym). I think it's even more expensive - maybe £50 a month, but it is nearer to where I live and...

and this is the biggest factor...

it has a better class of member.

They price it high and manage to keep the riff-raff out - I like that.

I don't want to work out with knuckleheads who can't speak a single sentence without using the F or C words. Or dee-dars that like to shout loudly whilst working out or pose in front of mirrors and leave their water bottles and ipods all over the place and work on 2 or more pieces of equipment at the same time and not be willng to share.

I'm afraid Broadfields does have it's fair share of these type of characters. And they are in there all times of day - I guess many of them don't work or are on benefits. Or maybe they do mainly foreign restaurant or grocery store jobs.

Virgin Broadfields - about £40 a month.

I joined a few years ago and chose Virgin because they had other gyms around the country and I spent a lot of time working away - so that was a key factor in choosing them.

The membership I've got allows me to use most (but not all) other Virgin gyms as well.

They put some restrictions on it if the gym you are visiting is in a higher price bracket than the one you belong to. I find that a bit annoying but I can understand why they do it.

I'm considering taking out a membership at Virgin Archer Road instead (the old Esporta gym). I think it's even more expensive - maybe £50 a month, but it is nearer to where I live and...

and this is the biggest factor...

it has a better class of member.

They price it high and manage to keep the riff-raff out - I like that.

I don't want to work out with knuckleheads who can't speak a single sentence without using the F or C words. Or dee-dars that like to shout loudly whilst working out or pose in front of mirrors and leave their water bottles and ipods all over the place and work on 2 or more pieces of equipment at the same time and not be willng to share.

I'm afraid Broadfields does have it's fair share of these type of characters. And they are in there all times of day - I guess many of them don't work or are on benefits. Or maybe they do mainly foreign restaurant or grocery store jobs.

I understand what you say about a different class of member but I think it all depends on what you're wanting to achieve. Whatever your goals I think it helps to be surrounded by people with similar goals regardless of 'class'.

I go to the gym to build muscle for aesthetic purposes/bodybuilding and the more expensive gyms like Virgin and Esporta aren't really for this. It's a hobby not really shared by many other middle class people and so I like to go to a gym in which I will be motivated by the other members.

It is nice to be able to work out without rat-like groups of unemployable youths though so I see where you're coming from.

Archived