Tax Credits? What's going on?

So as a working (married) mum of one - soon to be two children with a working husband having to pay for nursery fees so that I can continue to work, I'm not entitled to Tax Credits or Working Tax Credits anymore?

The new joint income amount to receive anything seems to have been reduced to around £25,000 - which most couples will probably earn gross each year (before the tax, pension and living deductions are made).

Is it just me or would my family still be better off not working, not being stressed about work and money and living on benefits? If my husband moved out and he was estranged from his kids, would I get more money?

Worrying times when hard work still doesn't pay off...

Been told as a couple we need to work 24 hours between us to get WTC, so I got a job, and hubby got a new job too, having been made redundant recently. His is only 10 hours, and mine 15, perfect I thought, and great for childcare as they're at very different times of day. But oh no, one of us has to work at least 16 hours to qualify. Hoping I can sort it out to get an extra hour if possible!

Been told as a couple we need to work 24 hours between us to get WTC, so I got a job, and hubby got a new job too, having been made redundant recently. His is only 10 hours, and mine 15, perfect I thought, and great for childcare as they're at very different times of day. But oh no, one of us has to work at least 16 hours to qualify. Hoping I can sort it out to get an extra hour if possible!

That's madness! You're an hour out of their 'requirements' - but apparently the government want to encourage working families?

Hope it works out that you can get WTC, for us, it's a lost cause...

Would it not be possible to tell the people at Tax Credits you are working 16 hours, or do you have a contract that states you work 15 hours?

Yes you would be lying, but if people have to quit work because its unviable to work then this situation is utter madness.

For a single person, you have to working more than 30 hours, but earn less than a certain amount. As a couple its 24 hours with one doing 16 hours.

Would it not be possible to tell the people at Tax Credits you are working 16 hours, or do you have a contract that states you work 15 hours?

Yes you would be lying, but if people have to quit work because its unviable to work then this situation is utter madness.

For a single person, you have to working more than 30 hours, but earn less than a certain amount. As a couple its 24 hours with one doing 16 hours.

i believe a single person only has to work 16 hours but if a couple it has to be 24 or so i thought.

Been on the phone to the Jobcentre, as I haven't actually signed off yet, haven''t got an official start date, and my advisor who has been absolutely lovely and helpful through the last couple of months we've been claiming did a better off calculation for me.

If I work 15 hours, and he does 10, since we both work under 16 hours, we would still have to claim JSA. We would lose £1 for £1 of JSA for wages, get no tax credits, but are allowed to keep £10 of what we earn. This would make us £10 per week better off than we were on benefits, but does not take into account any expenses for work, and so we would be worse off after that. She said not to start the job if they can't make it 16 hours, it is not worth it!

However, if I can get 16 hours, and he gets 10 hours, then we could come off JSA altogether, still get help with rent payments, get WTC, help with childcare costs should we need it, and be £101 or so better off per week than we are on JSA.

This calculator here is pretty easy to use for working out entitlement

http://www.familynest.co.uk/Tools/Tax-credits-benefits-calculator/

Archived