Should Pensioners have to Re-take Their Tests?

Rather than pigeon-holing pensioners, why not make it compulsory to have a test every decade. Saying that, what would that change... most Sheffielders would complain and accuse the governement of stealth tax, and half wouldn't do it anyway, just like they don't tax their car(s).

What other areas?

Less cars on the road which means less delays in traffic which will positively affect the economy.

Less delays for drivers behind behind slow moving vehicles driven people who cannot safely drive the speed limit will positively affect the economy (you may think it's only a short saving on your journey but across millions of people around the country it adds up).

NHS savings from accidents caused by drivers who are not capable of safely navigating a high powered vehicle

Rather than pigeon-holing pensioners, why not make it compulsory to have a test every decade. Saying that, what would that change... most Sheffielders would complain and accuse the governement of stealth tax, and half wouldn't do it anyway, just like they don't tax their car(s).

Why do we have to be so politically correct about it? People's motor functions and awareness of what's around them aren't going to have biologically changed considerably enough to make them a danger to the population between the ages of 17 and 27. However, they are going to have HUGELY changed between the ages of 60 and 80

Less cars on the road which means less delays in traffic which will positively affect the economy.

Less delays for drivers behind behind slow moving vehicles driven people who cannot safely drive the speed limit will positively affect the economy (you may think it's only a short saving on your journey but across millions of people around the country it adds up).

NHS savings from accidents caused by drivers who are not capable of safely navigating a high powered vehicle

And early diagnosis of treatable or curable illnesses too (sorry to keep banging on about this - a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine)!:mad:

Your last point is moot unless you can come up with stats thats say OAPs are a large percentage of accident causers..The other things are equally as valid to younger drivers..in fact all the points can be attributed to drivers of any age..if you can't safely overtake a slow driver should you really be on the road..? :)

I find it strange that young people in England (late teenagers and early 20s) get stigmatised so much for their driving. I drive quite a lot, with a fair commute to work every day and the large majority of dangerous driving I see is from pensioners. The most common things are:

- Being unable to overtake cyclists so sitting behind them for the entire stretch of road

- Stopping in the middle of junctions because the lights behind them have just changed to red

- Driving at half the speed limit on any given road

- Having no idea what lane they should be in on a roundabout

- Sitting in the right hand of lane of a carriageway doing 15mph because they will be turning right in two miles

- Merging randomly with no check of anything around them.

The list could go on and on. We've all heard stories of older people being found going the wrong way down the motorway, etc.

It's scientific fact that your motor and mental functions start deteriorating at about the age of 45 so why on earth would we assume that a person at the age of 80 is safe to be on the road? I have no problem with pensioners who can drive perfectly well, but a huge number of them I encounter on the road seem to have no clue what they are doing and are putting other road users at risk.

So, should you have to retake your test at a certain age or not?

I’d prefer retesting for everyone at least every ten years.

Why do we have to be so politically correct about it? People's motor functions and awareness of what's around them aren't going to have biologically changed considerably enough to make them a danger to the population between the ages of 17 and 27.

How about pychological issues and maturity...which section/age group has the highest number of accidents?

Where was the mention of medicals in Barry's post..?

Read the entire thread - I have been discussing this with him and others also.

It is entirely relevant to the subject being discussed.

Read the entire thread - I have been discussing this with him and others also.

It is entirely relevant to the subject being discussed.

Why quote a post that has no reference to a medical check-up...? Maybe you should start another thread? If you're interested in early diagnosis why limit a 5 yearly medical to drivers...?

Archived