Should Pensioners have to Re-take Their Tests?

Your last point is moot unless you can come up with stats thats say OAPs are a large percentage of accident causers..The other things are equally as valid to younger drivers..in fact all the points can be attributed to drivers of any age..if you can't safely overtake a slow driver should you really be on the road..? :)

Young drivers choose may choose to drive like idiots, and may have accidents as a result of this. However, they have already proven that they can drive safely in their recent driving test which they passed. Forcing them to drive safely again for the purposes of a driving test before going out on the road and driving how they want is going to be ineffective.

I am talking about people who cannot physically or mentally drive safely, inside or outside of a driving test. It's scientific fact that motor and mental functions deteriorate over age. Do you feel safe in the knowledge that the old lady who can barely cross the road in the allotted time given by the green man and struggles to enter the car on her own will suddenly be the picture of a perfect driver once the engine starts?

So you're saying that if I cannot safely overtake on every single road in Britain at any given time I shouldn't be on the road? Head over to the single lane sections of any winding country road or busy section of the road network and see if you can safely overtake.

Why do we have to be so politically correct about it? People's motor functions and awareness of what's around them aren't going to have biologically changed considerably enough to make them a danger to the population between the ages of 17 and 27. However, they are going to have HUGELY changed between the ages of 60 and 80

Not being political correct about anything. It's a fact that there are many out there (and god, I've seen enough of them) on Sheffield's road, of varying ages, that cannot drive in the correct manner and it's those people, regardless of age, that should be targeted.

Oh, and there are many older drivers out there that probably have better motor functions and awareness than you. Don't judge a book by it's cover :)

Why quote a post that has no reference to a medical check-up...? Maybe you should start another thread? If you're interested in early diagnosis why limit a 5 yearly medical to drivers...?

My comments, should you choose to read my posts, were that the NHS could benefit from regular health tests needed for driving by early diagnosis of treatable and curable conditions which would reduce long term health care costs. Since we are discussing the health of elderly drivers and their ability to drive safely - this is a perfectly relevant addition to the discussion. Sorry if you find it a little confusing.

Young drivers choose may choose to drive like idiots, and may have accidents as a result of this. However, they have already proven that they can drive safely in their recent driving test which they passed. Forcing them to drive safely again for the purposes of a driving test before going out on the road and driving how they want is going to be ineffective.

I am talking about people who cannot physically or mentally drive safely, inside or outside of a driving test. It's scientific fact that motor and mental functions deteriorate over age. Do you feel safe in the knowledge that the old lady who can barely cross the road in the allotted time given by the green man and struggles to enter the car on her own will suddenly be the picture of a perfect driver once the engine starts?

So you're saying that if I cannot safely overtake on every single road in Britain at any given time I shouldn't be on the road? Head over to the single lane sections of any winding country road or busy section of the road network and see if you can safely overtake.

Have you got those accident stats yet...? ..Can't think of anywhere that I haven't been able to overtake when I wanted to.. maybe you should learn to be patient..maybe the oldies slowing you down are saving the country money by stopping you having an accident if you can't do a safe overtake :)

Have you got those accident stats yet...? ..Can't think of anywhere that I haven't been able to overtake when I wanted to.. maybe you should learn to be patient..maybe the oldies slowing you down are saving the country money by stopping you having an accident if you can't do a safe overtake :)

Yes if you want there is always a place to overtake - by definition eventually you will be at a place you can overtake but it can take an incredible amount of time travelling at half the speed limit.

Yes if you want there is always a place to overtake - by definition eventually you will be at a place you can overtake but it can take an incredible amount of time travelling at half the speed limit.

It's not compulsory to overtake, you know. If they deem it not safe or just have no intention of overtaking, then so be it. Nothing dangerous about that. Why didn't you overtake?

It's not compulsory to overtake, you know. If they deem it not safe or just have no intention of overtaking, then so be it. Nothing dangerous about that. Why didn't you overtake?

I don't understand any of that. If who did not deem it safe? Why didn't I overtake who?

I do around 40k miles a year and can honestly say I've probably been held up twice this year by someone dawdling along..it's not a problem or anything like one...never been late for an appointment or meeting..been early lots of times..

Archived