Should Pensioners have to Re-take Their Tests?

I did point out the blind 84/86 year old driver who hit and killed tis woman I knew...

Unfortunately, 'One' isn't a statistically-significant sample. :hihi:

I could remind you of the diabetic who had a hypo on the A11 about 10 years ago, ran his car into another car and killed somebody.

Or the 87 year-old who had a heart attack, was involved in a 4-vehicle crash and killed somebody. - Was the crash caused by the heart attack or was it caused by the driver's age?

Have under 30-year olds ever been known to suffer from heart attacks? - Should the driving age be limited to about 25? (just in case)

I don't know the statistics, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that a man who had lived to the age of 87 without having had a heart attack was lesslikely to have one than a man who had lived to 50.

If an individual suffers from an ailment which in the opinion of his/her doctor increases significantly the chance of him/her having an accident, then under current UK laws that individual is obliged to report the ailment to DVLA.

'Old Age' is one phase of that fatal STD called 'Life' but it isn't usually considered to be a disease.

As Mr Ralge suggested, the number of aged drivers on the roads in the UK is going to increase dramatically (particularly when you bear in mind the number of people born about 70 years ago who never learned to drive - so never became aged drivers - and the increase in the number of drivers after the late 1950s.)

He suggested that families might consider becoming 'proactive' in guiding older family members. IMO, that would be a very good idea.

Many aged drivers drive alone, or with a spouse (if they have one) and are rarely subjected to scrutiny by somebody else.

The number of older drivers (as a percentage) in the US is probably higher than it is in the UK (because 50 or 60 years ago almost everybody learned to drive.) Some organisations (notably AARP) offer 'courses' for older drivers. - They're not really 'advanced driving skills' courses, but they do afford a chance for somebody else to see how the older driver copes.

If you complete one of those courses, your insurance company will give you a discount. (Mine does, anyway ;)) but - more importantly - if you shouldn't really be driving, then there is somebody who can tell you (albeit politely.)

I'd like to see everybody doing advanced driving courses and everybody subjected to periodic re-testing. I won't hold my breath while I wait.

Perhaps - even if the state won't act - families (or motoring organisations) could introduce (voluntary) re-assessments for older drivers?

I did point out the blind 84/86 year old driver who hit and killed tis woman I knew...

I'm not sure one event,however sad,means that as a whole pensioners are more dangerous on the road...I could tell you about the two young boys I knew who were killed by a speeding 24 year old but it doesn't prove anything...we need the full stats really...

Most pensioners are sensible enough to know when it's time to pack in.

Most under 25's are not sensible enough to drive in a manner that traffic and weather conditions allow.Okay you'll find the odd story about some 80+ pensioner causing an accident but that's life (or death in some cases!) but very few drive like the young idiot who had to get past the car in front(me) today even though I was doing 60mph on a country road;in his poxy delivery van and no it wasn't white.

Everyone should be re-tested every five years. If you fail after three attempts then tough, you're clearly not cut out to be a driver.

I also think that when you pass your initial test, i.e., the first time you learn to drive, it should only be on a 'temporary' basis. New drivers should then sit a further exam, say six months later, to prove that they are proficient enough and haven't slipped into any bad habits already!

The sights I see during the school run make me think a good 60% of drivers, perhaps more should be re-tested today. The vast majority would fail.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I too believe that eye and reaction tests should be made compulsory after a certain age. For their confidence as well as our own safety. I know a lot of old drivers who are better than us young ones, but i have to say i sometimes have to cringe at some older drivers.

Archived