Road tax - should it go?

Should we replace road tax  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should we replace road tax

• Yes Add the cost onto fuel
    • Yes Fund from another source
    • No Leave it as it is

Should the car tax be scrapped and fuel price raised ?

Im all for the idea,but I think first they need to address the problem of all the scroats with no insurance and no licence.

If they remove road tax,it will be like pay as you go driving and iI think that is a good idea.

The fact you can't get a road tax disc without a valid insurance certificate and MOT certificate is a useful check.

There are too many cars on the road without insurance or MOTs - removing the tax disc system will make it easier to drive unroadworthy cars without insurance

Yes it should go, but I read something today that amazed me.

It said if fuel tax was increased so road tax could be abolished, the average motorists mileage of 12,000 a year would cost an extra £241, whereas road tax currently costs £150 (less with smaller engines).

What I was amazed about was why on earth they can't calculate the additional fuel tax BASED on the average mileage and current road tax cost - i.e. add the £150 on to the 12,000 mileage cost of fuel, and work out the amount added to each litre based on that.

I also think that when you get your insurance certificate it should come with a brand new, all singing all dancing 'insurance disc' which by law must be displayed in the same prominence as the current road tax disc, thus alleviating the fears mentioned by Mr Chopper.

Get rid of the road tax and fund it from what the government ALREADY takes from the fuel IMHO.

Fuel (like cigarettes) is already HEAVILY... TOO HEAVILY taxed as it is.

With regards to MrH's remarks on getting a valid tax disc by producing valid insurance and MOT is a good point.

However this could be overcome by having Isurance companies supply 'Insurance Discs' to place in the window and an MOT Disc also... ok it takes up more space... but you can then see if the car in question has valid insurance and MOT from the word go.

Anyone elses thoughts?

---------------

Also heard on the radio today that insurance on cars is set to go up by at least £60 next year cos of the amount of people driving without it. Well thats a GREAT move isn't it mr insurance man. INCREASE the price making it more expensive so even FEWER people insure their cars. I see a catch 22, spiral out of control situation brewing here:loopy:

Originally posted by t020

I also think that when you get your insurance certificate it should come with a brand new, all singing all dancing 'insurance disc' which by law must be displayed in the same prominence as the current road tax disc, thus alleviating the fears mentioned by Mr Chopper.

It's normally the driver who is insured, and not the car, so this idea would not necessarily solve the problem. Insurance is a con anyway and should be abolished IMO.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

The motorist who has to travel a long distance to work, who doesn't get paid anymore would suffer.

Not really, it would be an encouragement to switch to public transport.

It should be made a requirement,that to own a car it must be insured.

This can be backed up with a DVLA/Insurance database,it would also reduce the amount of clapped out bits of scrap on peoples drive as they strive to become a one man scrap yard.

It should be made a requirement for private purchases to produce insurance,and incoperate insurance onto photocard licence.

It should be a requirement that people caught with no insurance are banned from driving indefinately.

Archived